www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More old Planes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 pm 

Got caught up in the plane passion evident on the forum . . . Years ago I bought a #5 plane made by Woden in England. I knew nothing about it but just liked it and have liked it ever since. I have "enough" planes but last weekend found a Woden #w4 at a flea market, in lovely shape, and just had to have it as a mate for the other. From the excellent web site I found, it was made about 1960, before Record took over the company. I now think my #5 is a "Record Woden" plane from 1961-1965. I was pleased also to read favourable things about Woden on Paul Sellers' blog: https://paulsellers.com/2014/05/planes- ... work-with/. A minor aesthetic disappointment is that the lever cap is not original. I am looking around on eBay etc. (and some links from the forum) to find one (will probably cost more than the plane . . . ) so if anyone knows where I might find one I'd be grateful for any tips. I'm not sure yet what lever cap is presently on it--might be an old Stanley--but I can happily part with that if someone happens to have a non-functioning Woden.

Post subject: Re: More old Planes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:02 am 

Good for you. I've never seen a woden, but read something about them once.

I just acquired a Stanley #3 type 11 in good condition only a break in the base has been brazed, but a pretty good job of it. I found a base on ebay to replace it and bought it (paid 4 times the $5 I paid for the plane) and it turned out to be a Type 10 base. The same except no screw adjuster for moving the frog back and forth. I don't use that anyway though, so no problem for me, just now a mixture, made between 1902 and 1909. I love these old planes.

The other find for $5 was a #4 size "Continental Tool Works" plane in great shape, made between 1890 and 1925.