A good plane for brace shaping?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
kinspeed

A good plane for brace shaping?

Post by kinspeed »

I like to buy once cry once but that has it's limits. Which plane(s) should I get and which brand is the best for the money? I don't want to spend my time restoring and old plane or searching for the right old one, if I can avoid it.(lol) I'd like to keep that to building the kit. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am sort of a minimalist, because I'm usually broke, so if I can get one tool that does several things, I'm all for that.
MaineGeezer

Re: A good plane for brace shaping?

Post by MaineGeezer »

I mostly use an old small Sargent block plane that my grandfather had to plane down the sides of the braces. That and a chisel. You'll need a chisel, of course, to sculpt the ends.

The operative word is probably "small." I'd like one or two finger planes of various sizes, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ibex-Violin-Make ... nger+plane

But I haven't convinced myself (yet) to spend that much money.\

Lei-Nielsen has some beautiful small planes, too:
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4072/block-planes
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

That L-N plane is a copy of a Stanley 103- it says 102 on it , but that Stanley 102 did not have a depth adjuster where the 103 does. The Stanley plane is lighter weight than the L-N, which I find good, and infinitely cheaper.

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes -- L-N tools are beautifully made and of irreproachable quality, but there are other, cheaper alternatives that work just as well.

I've been to the L-N factory in Warren, ME. If anybody is in the area you'd probably enjoy a visit and seeing their showroom. It's fun to look. It's right on Route 1.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I build my first four guitars with a LN block plain and a set of chisels. I do have some violin or instrument planes but find that the LN block plane is small enough. I am sure there are other quality block planes.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Find yourself a usable condition old Stanley block plane, something like a 60 1/2 low angle adjustable throat. You can do alot with that plane.
I don't have an extra right now or I'd sell you one.
I do have a restored Stanley 220 general purpose plane I can sell you for $25 plus shipping (probably a small USPS flat rate priority box) if you are interested.
Let me know and I'll put on a pic.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'll echo Kevin. My favorite plane is the Sheffield English made Stanley low angle block plane with adjustable throat. Here it's marketed as the 60 1/2. I also use a 1/2" chisel.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com