www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:28 pm 

Does anyone have any plans that they are willing to share for construction of a binding jig that attaches to a standard router?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:44 am 

Here is one I have been using for just over 4 years. Just yesterday I routed the channels on my 7th instrument and I have not yet made a significant mistake. This guitar has the widest purfling yet (see "Resonator" in "Blog Your Project" - I am gluing right no and will have a photo up tomorrow) and I was very anxious for a day before doing it, but no problem and it went quite quickly. This type of tool serves me well for 1-2 instruments a year I build, but I can see using a more elaborate set up if you do more - would save time and relax the sphincter a bit. When I did a ukulele, I clamped the router and jig in the vise and passed the body over the bit - pretty cool and I might try that with a guitar. I saw a video of the similar, professional level tool that uses a barbel looking piece of aluminum for the fence and the guy was very quickly passing the body over the bit - by quickly I mean perhaps 5-6 seconds for the top, and again for the back. I have no intentions "upgrading" this tool.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 999443182/

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:34 pm 

I like your home made tool. I got some really thick aluminum angle, I'll manufacture something that I can use with my stewmac bearing router set.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:35 am 

Sammy

I didn't make it - it is commercially available and was $35 in 2012

Ed