Router attatched Binding Jig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
sammyjit

Router attatched Binding Jig

Post by sammyjit »

Does anyone have any plans that they are willing to share for construction of a binding jig that attaches to a standard router?
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Router attatched Binding Jig

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Here is one I have been using for just over 4 years. Just yesterday I routed the channels on my 7th instrument and I have not yet made a significant mistake. This guitar has the widest purfling yet (see "Resonator" in "Blog Your Project" - I am gluing right no and will have a photo up tomorrow) and I was very anxious for a day before doing it, but no problem and it went quite quickly. This type of tool serves me well for 1-2 instruments a year I build, but I can see using a more elaborate set up if you do more - would save time and relax the sphincter a bit. When I did a ukulele, I clamped the router and jig in the vise and passed the body over the bit - pretty cool and I might try that with a guitar. I saw a video of the similar, professional level tool that uses a barbel looking piece of aluminum for the fence and the guy was very quickly passing the body over the bit - by quickly I mean perhaps 5-6 seconds for the top, and again for the back. I have no intentions "upgrading" this tool.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 999443182/

Ed
Ed M
sammyjit

Post by sammyjit »

I like your home made tool. I got some really thick aluminum angle, I'll manufacture something that I can use with my stewmac bearing router set.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Sammy

I didn't make it - it is commercially available and was $35 in 2012

Ed
Ed M