Rabbit plane flea market find

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Rabbit plane flea market find

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I picked up this plane this morning. I don't know anything about these planes. It looked complete but I did notice an open screw hole on the side.
Marked made in usa, but I don't see any other marking other than the iron is marked "Craftsman" inside an oval.
Ed, can you tell me anything about this plane?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Rabbit plane flea market find

Best I can find so far is was made by Sargent before 1948 and if that is the original iron, then it was made for Sears.
Worth the $20 I paid for it, it will be fun to play with and use.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kevin

Yes that's a Sargent. The give-away is the little horn at the front for the web of your thumb to rest on. The three big guys all made tools for Craftsman/Sears - Stanley, Sargent, and Millers Falls. It should have a knicker under the depth stop on the right side - looks like a 3-leafed clover. It is used for cross grain work, dadoes, where the little blade scores the cross-grain for a clean cut. You sharpen the three sides and spin the knicker as you need it or not. When you sharpen the knicker, don't touch the outside edge, just sharpen the inside edge to be sure the thing cuts the correct line. I suggest a touch of lock-tite on the fence rod's threads, then use a nail or an awl to tighten the rod down - there is a hole in the end of the fence rod. Nothing more frustrating than to have the rod come loose while you are using it and the fence starts to flop around. Good find

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

I looks like a previous owner cut down the top of the iron and made a screw driver tip