Vacation time and hand planes

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Vacation time and hand planes

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I was on a short 4 day vacation last week at the family cabin. I spent a good part of 3 days on the deck playing with some planes I had not yet worked through.
I got a new Veritas MKII honing guide system, some new oil stones, and set up shop. It was glorious weather and most enjoyable.
The planes you see there are a a Sargent VBM 409 (old, pre 1900), Stanley #4 era 1933 to 1941, a Millers Falls #17, a Stanley 220, a Stanley 60 1/2, a Stanley #118, and a Stanley #75 bullnose plane. They are all clean, some repainted, and sharp as the dickens now, ready to use.
I still have a bunch more to work up, but these were most of the block planes. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Vacation time and hand planes

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Any more and that will be a collection

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice batch of planes
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You've done a good job rehabbing those planes. How do you like the Veritas?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed there are 32 metal planes in my shop now plus 4 wooden planes I made, and a Stanley 24" transitional. Yikes!
Diane, I love the Veritas guide system. Made it very easy to get a great edge. I've done my chisels too. Love it.
ruby@magpage.com

Kevin

Good start. Let me caution you against trying to save every user plane you come across - I have a ton of those I would love to get rid of (cheap) at this point. Once you have a representative group, stick to the rare/perfect stuff. I have some NIB and excellent condition items, and some rare items that I got inexpensively and these are the ones that will appreciate over time. No use having a bunch of Stanley 110 block planes when no one uses them.

Given time you will find dado planes, rabbet planes, shoulder planes, combination planes, beaders, router planes, corner planes, chamfer planes, circular planes, and scraper planes (there are thousands of those). And that is not even looking yet at spokeshaves and drawknives, hand saws (get to know these because there are some valuable ones on the loose - I recently got a pre-Civil-War Disston back saw for $1), boring stuff, chisels (learn to make handles - easy), files (learn to sharpen them), and measuring and marking stuff. And do some research and get the most valuable tool of all - your bench.

Ed
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

Something to think of is that for some types of tools, the biggest and the smallest are valuable - transitionals are generally considered to be firewood unless they are brandy-new. However, the biggest at 30" is worth a bit and the smallest at 7" is also worth having. Other than that, the 25 bevel up and the Jenny version of the 4-1/2 are the others worth keeping. Same true of bevel gauges - if you can find 14" your kids go to college. Combination squares are worth the most at 4" and 18".

Ed

I'll shut up now
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

I do hear you Ed, and I will weed out at some point, sold off a #4 & #5 Stanley already, and gave away a Defiance #5 to a friend.
I am getting some duplication on the block planes, but only a couple so far. I have to admit I like having the different models and sizes just to have them.
Then there are the more unique that I've got now, like the Chaplins #30 I got yesterday, the Chaplins Tower & Lyon jack plane with adjustable mouth, the Norvell-Shapleigh #7, and I have a really old Union 110 that is usable but not perfect.
Anyway, I keep hoping to come across that Stanley #1 for $10 at the flea market some day. :)

Diane, did you recognize the Stanley #118 on the table?
ruby@magpage.com

My pristine #1 only set me back $3. Unfortunately it is a #1 folding rule, 2 foot, 1 fold. It is really beautiful.

Here is the #1 with the lacquer still on the brass and a logo dating from pre-1907:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... ed-public/

It is followed by a treadle lathe and scroll saw I got at a local auction last week - the first couple of shots are of one off the internet.

I carry a 118 in my travel bag as a carpenter on a tall ship - I have sold perhaps 3 of them to other shipwrights once they saw it.

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

How cool is that lathe! Are you going to try and bring it back to life?