Inlay aid

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Inlay aid

Post by Bob Gleason »

Awhile back Tom Russell, our Big Island Ukulele Guild Prez., passed along a link to this product to our members.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I5 ... UTF8&psc=1

It is used for transferring paper patterns to the media that you want to cut the pattern out of. It sounded interesting, so even though I don’t do a lot of inlay, I went for it. I’ve used it on a couple of inlay projects this past week. It is the best transfer media that I have ever used. It sticks well to recon stone and shell, stays in place while you cut, and is easy to remove after cutting. Way better that any method of gluing on the pattern that I’ve ever used. No wait time for the glue to dry, no soaking the piece to get the pattern off. Nice to find a product that actually works! I did try it briefly on wood to wood, and it did not work as well as with shell. However I did not really give it a good test on wood. Might not have sanded the wood smooth enough to start with. The minimum size of the roll should last a lifetime, if you can keep it dry to avoid the adhesive from deteriorating. Just FYI. --Bob