Picked up this little bull nose plane today.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Picked up this little bull nose plane today.

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Picked this one up this morning at the local flea market. Stanley bull nose, I think it is a #75?
Ed, do you know a way to date these planes? Iron says Stanley Made in USA. Its in good shape, hope I can make it work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Picked up this little bull nose plane today.

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kevin

It's a #75 bull nose rabbet and these are not the best planes for the job. They are light weight and a little clumsy. You can make them work, but if you run across a #311 pick it up. It is a smallish english rabbet plane that you can take the nose off of and make it into a bull nose and it has great weight. It was made by Preston, then Marples and Clifton, and most recently Record:

http://www.record-planes.com/record-no- ... bet-plane/

It mostly has the little short front missing and mine is missing - anything with multiple parts peobably doesn't have them all when you find it. Mine is a Clifton and I love this little plane - it has a 1-1/8" cutter and is just about right in terms of weight and feel. Stanley made the 91 and 92 rabbet planes and they are very good too. But the moire recent ones have a problem where the nose is not coplanar with the bed and you have to lap them into plane. They have good weight and feel for the job.

Perhaps hang onto this one until you find a better one

Ed

Forgot to mention - you can date them by the blade logo, but there were few made before the regular notched rectangle. I have a really purty V logo - WWI.
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Thanks Ed, this one feels pretty weighty to me but I guess I'll find out how it works. I did check and the sole and the toe are on the same plane, so I guess that is good?
I read some place where it was said Stanley designed these purposely with the toe not co-planer. ?
I only gave $15. Looks like they aren't worth much more than that anyway, but it is cool looking and will look good on the shelf if I can't make it work right. ha!

I am still interested in the 140 you have soon as I have a few extra $$. My wife's 88 year old uncle has one that was HIS grandfathers who passed in 1932. He is cleaning it up and I saw it a couple of weeks ago, in pretty good shape. I wanted it........ :)
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have a bull nose it does come in handy
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com