My thickness sander

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
deadedith

My thickness sander

Post by deadedith »

I used a piece of hardwood in the pix for illustrative purposes.

The metal I bough off the rack at Ace for $4 each 24" piece. it comes with holes all over it which come in handy.
The metal comes at exactly - to the limit of my measuring, anyhow - .100". This is the thickness I want most of my tops.
I glue 60 grit to a straight sanding board, and put strips of tape - usually 2 strips thick - along the metal to offset the thickness of the sandpaper.

Thicker top? A few more strips of tape.
Thinner top? A few sheets of newspaper under the top.
I sand until I'm starting to wear away the tape, measure, make my decision on further sanding or stopping.

Cierp's mdf cauls with dowels and holes drilled wherever I want in my exorbitantly expensive work surface $60 - but you can screw/glue the metal down anywhere flat and make it do.

It works and gets me to the thickness I want - and quickly.

Just an idea. There are better ones, and more elegant, but this works and a method I came up with.

DaveB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Re: My thickness sander

Post by deadedith »

Last of the pix. A couple are sideways. My bad.
DaveB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

I like it!

Very resourceful.

Jim
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
Tony_in_NYC

You clearly need to spend more money one: My thickness sand

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

You clearly need to spend more on your sander! Lol
Nice job.
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Very nice Dave. A Cordless Thickness Sander!
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Cordless - and it's pretty quiet too. :-)
If I ever need a machine to thickness stuff I will get one - but I don't now, building at 6-8 instruments a year. I would have to get up to pretty heavy production to justify it in my case.
But mine sure does not LOOK cool :-(
DaveB
rgogo65

Re: You clearly need to spend more money one: My thickness

Post by rgogo65 »

Tony_in_NYC wrote:You clearly need to spend more on your sander! Lol
Nice job.
Absolutely! "The Official Brotherhood of Cork Sniffers" EVERYWHERE will tell you at least a $1000 or it won't work and it's obvious it's not WIDE enough..sheeeeesh!
And beyond THAT I'll bet it takes at least 30 minutes to get it where you want..then you gotta set it up and take it down and well there is just so much WRONG here...:0)>

Good Job by the way! I love it IT really shows there's always more than one way to skin a cat...
( I know....I KNOW ...no cards, letters...and death threats PLEASE...I love cats...one has ruled my life for 8 years and he STILL has 3 lives left!) :0)>
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »