My thickness sander

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
rgogo65

Re: My thickness sander

Post by rgogo65 »

deadedith wrote:I try to keep my hands toward the outside of the board but yeah, a metal piece would be good, the stiffer the better.
DaveB
I was thinking of a piece of 3" alluminum "I" or "H" beam, (Which ever you prefer) would do nicely. Light, NO flex..OR a nice alluminum LEVEL would work well layed across the wood the sandpaper is bonded to. It too, will not flex.
In fact I have a old 4'er that the bubbles have fallen out of that will be perfect for that purpose :0)>
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

After your first response I scrounged around the shop and found an aluminum bandsaw fence I don't use - knocked the cheap clamps off - put a straightedge to it - perfect! I will use it tomorrow.
Thanks
DaveB
BTW I had no problems with the wooden stick but I'm sure this will be even more consistent.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Pix to show the new sanding bar - I no longer see the need for tape to gauge progress - so sandpaper does not glide over rails - a figure 8 witness line is sanded off very quickly and then I tap the top and measure it on the caliper and make a decision whether to continue. This particular top, which was for practice, has utterly surprised me with a nice ringing taptone (I am no expert at all, but I do have enough of an ear to hear fairly subtle changes in tone.)
Having fun!
DaveB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Last one
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

See there? That's very cool...good for you...no reason the fence won't
produce pretty accurate results. :0)>
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Dave,
That is very cool, quite resourceful. I like it, and with your permission, I'd like to duplicate it.

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Sorry, Kevin, no can do. Patent pending, legal matters, I have an attorney on retainer etc etc.

Well of course you can run with it, pal! :-) As long as you share any improvements you make, as you very well might.

Good luck and keep in touch. I have found this to be accurate and satisfying and - cheap.

DaveB
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

"no reason the fence won't
produce pretty accurate results."

It does! Just sand off the witness lines, tap or measure or both, and proceed to sand off more witness lines or say "Well done" and move on to other tasks. With good calipers and patience one can get very accurate.

Thanks for the tip on the sanding bar.

DaveB
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Thanks a LOT for sharing your ingenuity...I have tapped my poor skull for a long time trying to figure out how to do this an easy cheap way...you are a very cleaver man! :0)>
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Necessity breeds invention :-)
For the non-production guy, like me, I think this is a good option, and I hope if you use it that you can improve it and pass it on.
Thicknessing is actually a very enjoyable activity and just feels creative.
Thanks
DaveB