Another New Tool that I really needed!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Another New Tool that I really needed!

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I was looking for a disc sander, but they're rather expensive. But, while looking, this compact unit popped up. I can see a myriad of uses for the disc, the belt, even the end of the belt, which could act as a spindle sander. The belt sander adjusts from flat to 90 degrees. Many of you may not care for the Ryobi name, but a lot of other manufacturers make them too.

After market belts (4" x 36"), are available to 1000g (which really surprised me)

It has a manufacturer's 3 year warranty; bought with an American Express doubles the warranty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Stray Feathers

Re: Another New Tool that I really needed!

Post by Stray Feathers »

I've been going through the same process Diane. The Ryobi looks identical to several other models including Rikon, but some components may vary. I found a used 6x48"/9"disc Haussmann that was very inexpensive because a few bits were missing. Can't find parts for Haussmann but it seems to be the same model as one sold by Powertec so hope I can order those. Unlike many larger sanders, this one will sit on a bench like yours - important for me.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I use that size sander a lot. I just use the belt sander and do not have a disk on the disk sander. While using the belt sander I bumped into that spinning disk more times than I would like to admit. It hurts! not so much without the sandpaper. One suggestion is to order a spare belt. Nothing worse than waiting around for one to ship.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Diane, I made a jig to sand the "wings" on the ends of steel string bridges feeding them into the roller end of the belt sander, some even use it for the backs of head stocks and other thicknessing processes. I think you will find it very useful in guitar making.
Happy for you to have it.

Kevin
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks for your replies. I've ordered a 320g belt. They have belts to 1000g online. I can see so many uses for this, esp. for the limited space that I have.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com