Another hand plane find

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Another hand plane find

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kevin

Yes I have seen a couple. The problem is getting a blade the full width. If I recall, they were both a 60-1/2 (or 60 or 61) and they used the wider blade of the standard size block plane as their blade. I recently saw a #2 (valuable plane) that had been made into a rabbet plane using a ground down #3 blade.

I have a serviceable 140 that I can let go cheap. They have a skew blade and are rabbettish on just one side. This one is missing the side plate that you remove to do rabbet work, but St James Bay makes a reproduction if you have to have one

I also have a 10-1/2 which is a shorter version of the bench plane/rabett plane, but they go a bit higher

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ed, so without the side plate it is just good for rabbeting?
That's all I would need it for. Tell me how cheap.
ruby@magpage.com

Kevin

Yes if you are rabbeting you take off the side plate anyway. How does $30 sound:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed, sounds good, but can you hang on to it for me for now? I keep spending, and I don't have any spending $$ coming in right now.
Still waiting on my friend to give me the yay or nay on the guitar I started for him........I have to be patient. I have his check but can't cash it. Hmmmm.
ruby@magpage.com

it's here unless someone asks for it

Ed
Ed M
btberlin

Post by btberlin »

BTW - the Stanley company still offers replacement parts for many of their planes. Check this link for the 60 1/2. Browse around their plane parts site to see if there is anything else you might need. I haven't checked recently but if you are a Yankee screwdriver enthusiast, or have more than one (which I think makes you an enthusiast) they had replacement internal parts for these as of only a couple of years ago. Other hand tool parts are available on their site as well.

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/12060usa.html

bert
btberlin

Post by btberlin »

BTW - the Stanley company still offers replacement parts for many of their planes. Check this link for the 60 1/2. Browse around their plane parts site to see if there is anything else you might need. I haven't checked recently but if you are a Yankee screwdriver enthusiast, or have more than one (which I think makes you an enthusiast) they had replacement internal parts for these as of only a couple of years ago. Other hand tool parts are available on their site as well.

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/12060usa.html

bert
ruby@magpage.com

Bert

That is a good site, but they only offer items that they still make. St James Bay makes parts for many vintage or discontinued Stanley tools, and a replacement blade for the very useful Millers Falls cigar shave:

http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com

Click on tools, then Stanley Reproduction Replacement Parts

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

I showed this plane at the beginning of this thread. I finally worked it up on Saturday, and it is a peach.
One more great tool in my arsenal.
The before and after pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

wow they cleaned up nicely.