Routing Polycarbonate (Lexan)

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Routing Polycarbonate (Lexan)

Post by Bob Gleason »

Not sure where to put this question, but I figured tool users would see it here. I use a lot of cast plexi to make templates for outside cuts, where I can shape the template on the bandsaw and sand to size.Currently I'm trying to upgrade some of my inside cut templates. Inside meaning templates used for routing pockets like in electric guitars or for cutting preamp cutouts in acoustics, or cutting soundports etc. These require a router or mill. Plexiglas is too prone to shattering as far as I can tell, and I hear polycarbonate is better. Brand name Lexan among others. I'm interested in hearing about routing procedures, bit speed, bits, feed speed, lubricant, and tooling that anyone has used for making inside cut templates in 1/4" Lexan. Also, can I glue 1/4" Lexan sheets together to make thick templates, and still retain the clarity? Thanks, Bob
MaineGeezer

Re: Routing Polycarbonate (Lexan)

Post by MaineGeezer »

You'll probably want a fairly slow rpm. If too fast, the plastic heats up, melts, and makes a horrible mess.

I doubt you'll be able to laminate it and have the joint "disappear." A narrow joint, maybe. Get good tight mating surfaces and wick in some methylene chloride (I think that will dissolve polycarbonate; need to check) or possibly some water-thin CA glue. But two large flat surfaces...I dunno. You'd want the same approach, I expect -- minimal clearance and wick in a solvent or CA -- but I think it would be difficult t0 get it uniform. Why not just buy thicker polycarbonate?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

may I add that using a cooling agent helps for a cleaner cut and keeping the tool from getting blocked. I used to use dawn soap in water
about 1 spoon per qt was all it needed.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

MG-Thanks for the tips. I can get polycarbonate cut offs at the plastic supplier at a reasonable price. 1/4" is the thickest they carry and bringing in thicker material is very pricey. Hence, I want to try the glue up idea.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Oh yes! The thick stuff gets expensive pretty fast.

Although it might come out kind of ugly, you ought to be able to laminate sheets. The trick will be to get uniform solvent coverage, and if methylene choride is in fact the preferred solvent, it evaporates almost instantly, making it even more difficult to control. It also has an incredibly low viscosity so it goes everywhere.

What do you need the thicker stock for? You could always lay down some doublei-sided tape and stick sheets together that way.

I just found this: http://www.eplastics.com/lexan-polycarbonate-glue
which may be helpful.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion