My new VISE!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

My new VISE!

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Okay, go ahead and laugh...

I needed a jeweler's coping saw; I found one offered with a tiny vice. I realized that I could really use a vise to shape nuts and saddles. I've been using the larger bench top vise, but it leaves a lot to be desired. So I searched mini vises on ebay and ran across this hobby vise, which has the advantage of a suction bottom.

I paid my $6 and got it in the mail today. The one glaring flaw was that it had a bolt riding directly through threaded plastic, which was rather loose. I picked up a 5/16" bolt and matching rounded base brad hole tee nut, and threw them at my handy husband. He inserted a small plastic grommet on the fixed side, so the bolt would ride smoothly and snugly, then installed the threaded tee nut on the movable jaw. As an added touch, he soldiered a little cross bar to the end of the bolt, so I can easily adjust it easily. Now it grips the bone very securely and I have access to the to and both ends to properly shape it.

Here are closeups of the mini vice holding the nut that I have to shape for the classical guitar that I'm in the process of rebuilding:
20160204_160901.jpg
20160204_160837.jpg
20160204_160805.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Re: My new VISE!

Post by MaineGeezer »

Looks as though it will be very handy, and the price was certainly right!

I've got one of these. Lots of companies sell them, for relatively low cost given the precision that it has (this one lists on Amazon for about $52.) It's very precise and accurate but somewhat fiddly to tighten and loosen, and it needs to be held down with clamps. For holding saddles and nuts though, assuming the sides are parallel, it does very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Yeah lots of little vices some of them hold things too Love your ingenuity
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MaineGeezer wrote:Looks as though it will be very handy, and the price was certainly right!

I've got one of these. Lots of companies sell them, for relatively low cost given the precision that it has (this one lists on Amazon for about $52.) It's very precise and accurate but somewhat fiddly to tighten and loosen, and it needs to be held down with clamps. For holding saddles and nuts though, assuming the sides are parallel, it does very well.
I saw several of these and they're certainly higher quality. Since I really have no true workshop, I work anywhere between my 3rd floor sewing room, to the front porch, dining room, or basement. I don't always have a good clamping surface, so I like suction bases.

Besides, I'm a sucker for taking what is essentially a $6 piece of trash, and transforming it into something that's really useful. I did however, have to pay an additional $1.90 for parts.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:
I saw several of these and they're certainly higher quality. Since I really have no true workshop, I work anywhere between my 3rd floor sewing room, to the front porch, dining room, or basement. I don't always have a good clamping surface, so I like suction bases.

Besides, I'm a sucker for taking what is essentially a $6 piece of trash, and transforming it into something that's really useful. I did however, have to pay an additional $1.90 for parts.
That used to be called Yankee ingenuity. Fancy tools are nice as are jury-rigged tools. I, too, run a 'distributed' workshop; I am just waiting for the shackles to be put on and the confinement to begin. :-)
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Danl8 wrote: That used to be called Yankee ingenuity. Fancy tools are nice as are jury-rigged tools. I, too, run a 'distributed' workshop; I am just waiting for the shackles to be put on and the confinement to begin. :-)
I think they call that, "building a guitar".
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

Very cool. I am a bit jealous. I think I'll buy one like yours someday that will clamp in my bench mounted vise.
John J

Post by John J »

I peruse eBay as do a lot of us I'm sure and your little vice got me looking and I found these little guys and got the pair for about $11. I mounted them to a hardwood block and clamp that in my parrot vise for nut and saddle work.
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I think your vices are probably a lot better made than mine John J. It was a good find.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars