Saving Space on a Fleishman Binding Cutter

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Saving Space on a Fleishman Binding Cutter

Post by Bob Gleason »

I probably have a lot more shop space than many, but still I've just run out of room for things. John sells a version of the Harry Fleischman binding jig that is just terrific, if you have the room. For years I have had mine wall mounted, and finally I just could not afford to give up that wall space anymore. So, I needed a new idea. Even though the jig accommodates a wide variety of body heights, I also have always wished that the height adjustment was more accommodating. For me, the jig has a "sweet spot" , where it works the best. So, I came up with the idea of mounting it to my drill press table with 2 bolts in the T-slots. It takes me about 10 minutes to set it up, 5 minutes if my wife holds it for me while I get the 2 bolts in the slots. I only use it once a week at most, so set up time does not bother me. Now the height is infinitely adjustable within the parameters I need, and I can store the jig out of the way. I use a moveable rolling cart as the base for the bodies. As a side note, I drilled a hole through the top of the extending arm, so that I can slip in a peg to stop the arm from extending while I move it around. See the photo with the old bass peg in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Saving Space on a Fleishman Binding Cutter

Post by tippie53 »

you are creative
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com