hygrometer recomendation

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
darren

hygrometer recomendation

Post by darren »

So I need to 'upgrade'... my digital hygrometer is inaccurate (i think), and I assumed i could use it to at least monitor changes in humidity. However my braced back has completely flattened out, even though I'm keeping it in a large bin with a sponge. my current reading in the tub is 51%, but that can't be right when considering what the braces are doing. Been mostly in the teens and twenty's as far as the outside temp is concerned, so the heater runs constantly. (why did i move to wisconsin?)

humidity reading upstairs, on the same digital hygrometer, is 38%.

I know what humidity I SHOULD build at and will be purchasing a humidifier but need recommendations on a good accurate hygrometer...for a reasonable price. lets say less than $50...

Now what to do about those back braces?
Darren
enalnitram

Re: hygrometer recomendation

Post by enalnitram »

Mine is homemade. Forget what I paid for the 2 thermometers. $7 each?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_t ... hermometer
darren

Post by darren »

how do you keep the wet bulb wet?
Darren
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

I only get it wet when I'm doing a reading. I have a little jar of distilled water that I open up and that can sit on one of my things on my bench top at the right height under the thermometer, so I don't have to take the bulb out, or pull the whole thing off of my pegboard. after the bulb sits in water for several minutes, I take it out, and then have a little fan blow air across the bulb. I just happen to have all this stuff sitting right there, and it sounds like it is really convoluted and/or complicated, but I just let it happen while I do other things. I can get readings several times a day if I want, and it's very accurate.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

The wet-bulb / dry-bulb method of determing humidity is as accurate as you will get.......so believe those reading over a reading from a hygrometer which are frequently inaccurate.
Slacker......
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

darren

Post by darren »

thanks for the link!
Darren