Review of KGM's Mega Mold / Universal Contour Fixture

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
mikewaz

Review of KGM's Mega Mold / Universal Contour Fixture

Post by mikewaz »

Last week I closed the box on the scratch guitar I'm working on. This one of my favorite parts of building. This is my first time using KGM's Mega Mold / Universal Contour Fixture, and thought I'd pass along my thoughts on it.

Overall, I think it's a great system. It's well built, reasonably priced, and well thought out. I love that I can use for just about any body shape. I followed Ken's directions very closely and got great results.

I did a dry fit of my neck and it was just a little off. I think this was due to an error on my part. In the past, I would have fiddled with the heel. But instead, I tried Ken's recommendation of sanding the top area under the fingerboard. I was little nervous about this, but now that I've tried it, I really like it. It's a very direct method and beats sanding bit of the neck heel here and there hoping to get it just right. You can check out that procedure here:

The mold has an internal clamping mechanism. I was initially using these clamps to replace typical spreaders. I don't know if it is Ken's intention, but found spreaders were still necessary.

Gluing the top and back couldn't be easier. Just strapped them down with rubber bands.

This is my third KMG purchase. It seems like to get the most out of Ken's stuff, you need to adopt his processes and follow his methods closely. This isn't a bad thing. So far it's helped me build better instruments.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have questions.

Mike