My drum sander bit the dust yesterday

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

My drum sander bit the dust yesterday

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Very sad, my Ryobi WDS1600 drum sander decided to break on me. Amazing, the shaft on the drive end of the drum sheared off....no jamb, just gave up the ghost. The drum is one piece with the shaft end being turned down to 5/8" to match the motor shaft for a coupler attachment.
ANYWAY! I'll fix it IF I can find a drum assembly.
So, I'm putting the word out, if you guys or anyone you know has a broken down, non working Ryobi WDS1600 16/32 drum sander with a GOOD drum, I'd be interesting in purchasing it.
Parts for these things are not being made anymore, but I'm going to start looking for a drum.
Thanks for your help. I've really come to depend on having a drum sander, and I sure can't afford to put out a grand to buy a new one right now.
mnmusic

Re: My drum sander bit the dust yesterday

Post by mnmusic »

Can you post a picture of the broken piece? Metalworking is another hobby of mine so I have a metal lathe and milling machine. I may be able to make you a new part.

Ed
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

There you go help is on the way.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed, thanks. I'll take a picture and post tonight. I think the only hope is to surface the two broken parts and join them mechanically, perhaps a rod down the center and pinned. Just thinking.
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Ed, thanks. I'll take a picture and post tonight. I think the only hope is to surface the two broken parts and join them mechanically, perhaps a rod down the center and pinned. Just thinking.
Kevin,

Take a picture of the broken parts and also the whole drum. It may be best to make a whole new drum but I won't know until I see the pictures.

Ed
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Kevin,

By the way, you can still get parts for your sander.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/drum-r ... 72288.html

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ryobi- ... 61325.html

They aren't cheap but are still available.

Ed
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed I forgot to take the pics last night, will try and do tonight. That would take one big chunk of aluminum to turn the drum from.
I have looked at purchased parts for other things from that Ereplacement site. There are not many parts left available for these sanders. There is a company who has been selling the same sander (which was made in Taiwan) under the Accura name, and I've gotten a switch and circuit board from them, but they haven't had the sander for a couple of years now. I will check with them and see if they have the drum!!!!
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Kevin,

The drum is in stock on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Part-494000 ... B000P8RFTG

By the way, I wouldn't make it out of solid aluminum. I'd use thick walled aluminum tubing.

Ed
Kevin Sjostrand

Ed here's a couple pics. I believe this thing is cast aluminum and machined?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Well if I can get those bearings off and pull the drum out of the housing, I will probably be buying a new drum. I found it for $200 shipped. Not how I planned on spending my next $200 but that's how it goes! I'll have help Sunday from someone with bearing pullers.