Binding machine

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
0018G

Binding machine

Post by 0018G »

OK sportsfans-help me understand what happened here. I set up my binding tower using my Dewalt laminate trimmer. I was running test cuts in a piece of pine to set my depth, and WHAM! The whole Stew Mac bit setup came out of the router, shot across the bench, and embedded itself in the top of my just assembled 00-18 body. Bent the shank on the router bit. I'm steaming as much of the damage out as I can, but it broke across some fibers-it ain't gonna disappear. I'm going to go throw up now, and then I think I'll research sunbursts.
tippie53

Re: Binding machine

Post by tippie53 »

Sounds like the router tossed the bit. The collet may be the problem. Is this the long shaft bit?. Also post a pic of the collet. There may a difference on the shaft. It that is a metric shaft ( 6mm) and your collet is 1/4 in there is a difference.
A 6mm shaft is .236 and a 1/4 in is .250 that may be an issue.

I don't use those anymore had the same thing happen blamed the router , it was the shaft.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
0018G

Post by 0018G »

I'll check it out, John. I think it's the long shaft bit. I know it was scary-could have imbedded in me.

What bits are you using now?
0018G

Post by 0018G »

Checked it out-1/4" shank, 1/4" bit. Must be a collet problem. I've never been particularly fond of that trimmer to begin with, although I've routed binding channels with this unit and bits before with no problems.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use a ridgid from Home depot
my favorite trim router for this job
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Gary Gill

Post by Gary Gill »

I experienced the same thing some time ago. I believe I had too much bit extended beyond the collet. I sawed about 1/2" off the shank and it works fine now.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Sometimes if you bottom the bit the whole way in the collet it will vibrate the locknut loose and the bit will come out. Its a vibration thing. I have known guys to put a small o-ring down inside the collet to prevent this. I myself just never bottom the bit.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
0018G

Post by 0018G »

Good tips, all. Thanks guys!

I did cut the damaged portion off the bit, but it was too short. Should have new one Monday. I'll decide then whether to finish this job with this trimmer or invest in a different one.