Stand for Holding Guitar While Spraying

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Darryl Young

Stand for Holding Guitar While Spraying

Post by Darryl Young »

I needed something to hold the guitar while I sprayed the finish. I seen Ken Cierps stand he built and made a version of this jig that could clamp to a benchtop. It allows the body to be rotated while spraying. It worked nice. It's heavy enough it holds the guitar without being clamped down. I made it tall enough that the body could rotate without contacting the bench.

For the rotation, it so happened I had a 4 1/4" hole saw on-hand from another project so I used what I had to cut the holes. I reused the center of the cutout as the disk to rotate inside the hole. The kerf of the hole saw was roughly 0.050". I had some 1/16" UHMW that are 3/4" wide so I used that to fill the void left by the kerf and allow the body to rotate easily.

Here are a few pics. First a shot of the hole saw and the UHMW strip and and end shot of the stand:
P1010102.JPG

A shot of the stand holding a guitar body:
P1010104.JPG

Closeup of the center assembly:
P1010105.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Darryl Young on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Re: Stand for Holding Guitar While Spraying

Post by Darryl Young »

And a couple more detail shots.

Another closeup of the center assembly. Note I also used a UHMW strip on the ends to reduce drag and wear.
P1010106.JPG

And a closeup of the rotating disk:
P1010108.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker......
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Nice. I'll give you $20 to make me one!!
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Tony, did you say you would give me $200 to build one of these for you???? (my eye sight isn't what it used to be)
Slacker......
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Give or take. When I write checks, I often misplace the decimal point though. Lets hope its in your favor!
Guitar Hack

Post by Guitar Hack »

Heres what I use. I don't need a stand just hang it from the rafters on a turnbuckle. You will note the hooks in a rectangle shape. I hook a sheet of plastic reinforced with duct tape at the hooks and spray my guitars in the spray booth and turn with the turnbuckle as needed.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Spray or brushing on a finish using a rigid stand is a quantum improvement over trying to spray something dangling in mid-air (bin there done it, actual most likely every body has tried the dangle method) --- should give a real fixture a try, it will take your finishing system/technique to a higher level of quality.
Last edited by kencierp on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I am with Ken here . Spraying a hanging body it like trying to hit a moving target .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Guitar Hack

Post by Guitar Hack »

So far it has worked. The body does tend to move a bit but you spray so fast it doesn't get a chance to move much until after the lacquer is on.
Last edited by Guitar Hack on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I have been putting a handle into the neck mortise that I can hold on to the guitar while spraying, but then hang up to dry. This has worked out pretty well I think. I do the same for the neck too.
Works for me!

Kevin