Smooth Plane (my new baby)

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Smooth Plane (my new baby)

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I like old tools. They're made with superior materials and craftsmanship not seen in today's tools, unless you pay some big bucks. This is a gem that I found and have rehabbed.

Still in the original box, this Craftsman smooth plane is solid and well made in the USA. I gladly spent the better part of 3 days getting her into shape, with most of the time spent leveling the sole. For comparison, I picked up a Buck Bros smooth plane for $5 at the local flea market and had the sole leveled in just 3 hours. The Craftsman took me (with the help of my husband and son) about 12 hours. It's HEAVY!

While they took their shifts at leveling the sole, I spent quality time with the iron, which had a couple of nicks. I got the nicks out and she's razor sharp; for added measure, I trued the chip breaker. Now when assembled, I have no problems with wood slivers getting caught between the iron and chip breaker. With the sole finished, everything cleaned, oiled, reassembled, and properly set up (which in itself took about 3 hours), the plane is creating nice, even, extremely thin, wood curls.

It even powers through some very, very old, extremely hard West Virginia walnut (which I have nicknamed, the walnut cracker wood!).

Note the $7.99 price tag!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
johnnparchem

Re: Smooth Plane (my new baby)

Post by johnnparchem »

Very nice. Do you know who made that craftsman plane? Sears mostly re-branded tools from prominent manufactures.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

johnnparchem wrote:Very nice. Do you know who made that craftsman plane? Sears mostly re-branded tools from prominent manufactures.
My research has shown that it was made by Sargent in the early 1950's.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Awesome Diane. I am into planes right now. I'm enjoying fixing them up and using them.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

there is a cool site blood and gore
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html
it is a handy reference
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote:there is a cool site blood and gore
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html
it is a handy reference
Thanks for the link John. It's a really nice and informative, site.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

There are many secondary brands of tools - Sears/Craftsman, Montgomery Ward, HB&S, Diamond Edge, Fulton, etc, etc. One reliable way to tell who made the plane for them is to look at the depth adjuster knob which is unique to the maker. Stanley, Sargent, and Millers Falls each made Craftsman planes at times. From the look of the side of the knob, it could be either Sargent or Stanley.

Another way is the shape of the tote and knob, but these changed and this is a harder thing to recognize.

Some Craftsman (Craftsmen?) have an oval logo in brass set into the lever cap, and these would be Sargent.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:There are many secondary brands of tools - Sears/Craftsman, Montgomery Ward, HB&S, Diamond Edge, Fulton, etc, etc. One reliable way to tell who made the plane for them is to look at the depth adjuster knob which is unique to the maker. Stanley, Sargent, and Millers Falls each made Craftsman planes at times. From the look of the side of the knob, it could be either Sargent or Stanley.

Another way is the shape of the tote and knob, but these changed and this is a harder thing to recognize.

Some Craftsman (Craftsmen?) have an oval logo in brass set into the lever cap, and these would be Sargent.

Ed
Thanks Ed, I appreciate the information.

I found a site that says that Craftsman Vanadium was made by an unknown manufacturer between 1931-1941 ( http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... hp?t=84807 ). This information is for Craftsman hand tools, so I would think a hand plane falls into this category. But it's hard to tell. I can tell you that it's made of the hardest steel I've ever come across! It took me a few days to level the sole.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars