Plexiglass workbench top question

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
mthatcher61

Plexiglass workbench top question

Post by mthatcher61 »

Does anybody use plexiglass, or lexan or some polycarb as a top for a workbench? I made my top with pressboard and its a splintery PITA. Thinking of just putting plans down on it and throwing a sheet of plexiglass over it and using that as a workbench top. Has anybody else tried it? Is it a bad idea?
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Re: Plexiglass workbench top question

Post by Danl8 »

Sounds like a good idea. Especially since you could put references drawings, etc., under it. Another option might be to cover the pressed wood board with a heavy epoxy like that used on bars/tables or to use that opaque white plastic that is used by quilters for cutting. I use one from time to time. It has grid-lines which make it useful for aligning parts and it seems to me to be slightly softer than polycarbonate resins (maybe acrylics, too?) but tough enough to withstand sharp blades.
Kevin Waldron

Post by Kevin Waldron »

Negative will be that it will scratch fairly easily and in short time you want be able to see much. Why not go to Lowe's-Home Depot etc. and purchase some Formica and stick to your top with contact style glue........ we've used this for years and most glue's want adhere to the top and it doesn't tear up easily.... and all you have to do is take a chisel and scrape off.......( personally like white but other colors work )

Blessings,

Kevin
leon2982

Post by leon2982 »

sheet glass?
hanksnowy

Post by hanksnowy »

+1 on the Formica type laminate for the top of your bench. Another choice would be a sheet of hardboard fastened to the bench top. Inexpensive and easily replaceable when the need arises. As far as the plans go, I'd consider an old window shade set up somewhere above the back of your bench. Some double face tape on the corners and affix your plans temporarily to the shade.
Snowy has no location, job, interests, or money,
but is willing to help whenever he can.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

1/4" tempered Masonite works well and is fairly cheap.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
mthatcher61

Post by mthatcher61 »

Hello everybody, thank you for your replies. I think I am going to go cheapest route. I'll prolly go with some hardboard and realize its sacrificial.
Puttin plans on an old window shade..tape them into the shade and then pull them down when I want to look at them and then roll it back up when not in use? Thats a neat idea. I have stewmac plans, they are huge. I'd need a big shade. Something to think about though.
hanksnowy

Post by hanksnowy »

Big plans require big shades. Or two smaller shades side by side.
When you have the opportunity, could you post the measurements of those plans.
The workshop cheapskate says you could tack the plans to an old broomstick and roll 'em up or down as needed.
Inelegant but functional, nevertheless.
Snowy has no location, job, interests, or money,
but is willing to help whenever he can.