Fretwire

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
naccoachbob

Fretwire

Post by naccoachbob »

On this Martin kit that I got I just hammered in the fretwire. It felt small to me. Do Martins use a smaller wire than what Stewmac sells in their kits?
Advantages and disadvantages to smaller wire?
What size do you guys prefer?
Thanks,
Bob
tippie53

Re: Fretwire

Post by tippie53 »

martin changed to a .0195 fret tang . Not all slots are the same . Martin uses a .022 slot the tang barbs ads a good bit .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

What about fret height and width above fretboard? That's what I was thinking might be smaller.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have to check on that info . Martin hasn't changed that . I think it 050 high and .080 but will try and get more info on that .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Just my $.02 – but if the wire is visibly a lower profile and you are accustom to normal medium wire (the vast majority of guitars are made with this dimension) than I believe using the wire provided to you will be a mistake. Do you have a measurement for the actual "fret portion" height?
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

tippie53 wrote:martin changed to a .0195 fret tang . Not all slots are the same . Martin uses a .022 slot the tang barbs ads a good bit .
Ok..are you saying that the .095 fret tang FITS the .022 Martin slot? or is this another "Trap" you can fall into? So there are different tang sizes as well as fret slot sizes and they have to be measured to match Right?
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Guys, my face is red. I just found some wire that I either got from Ken or from Stewmac, and they are the same size.
For some reason, I perceived it as smaller. I took overall fret height of both pieces and the width. No difference.
I tried to measure the fret height above the fret board (I guess fret crown height), and can't get the calipers to register consistently. Cheap calipers, bad operator, both.
Anyways sorry for the false alarm. We can let this thread drift on outta here.
Thanks anyway, all.
Bob