New Rim Sanding Jigs

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
turnertj

New Rim Sanding Jigs

Post by turnertj »

Evening all...

I thought I'd share the new jig I finally got around to finishing. I've been tired of my old sanding jig being a little too flimsy, so I tried to make something sturdier. I still need to drill the holes that will bolt down the mold, and I think I have a unique solution for leveling up the sides (which I'll post as soon as I get my next rim built up).

But for now...here's the jig. I use a sine-table like device with a precision ground 1.5" shaft in the center. The shaft is held in place by brass bushings, and then a collar holds the shaft in place at the bottom of the central structure. I did that because eI used to have issues with my old jig, where the shaft would pull out when I tried to dismount the radius disks. I also didn't like my old way of setting the angle, so instead I made a sliding fixture with a 1" round dowel (I may replace this with a 1" precision ground shaft, but there is probably little advantage). I have a Matlab script running that tells me acutely what angle I need to be in order to square up either my back or top rims, and therefore the setback for the dowel along the jig.

I think this will be a much better more secure method to sand my rims...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tj Turner
Author, Scientist, bumbling Luthier
Author of Lincoln's Bodyguard
www.tjturnerauthor.com
turnertj

Re: New Rim Sanding Jigs

Post by turnertj »

A few more shots...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com
GregH

Post by GregH »

I like the looks of this, but want to make sure I understand the last two pictures.

Is the central shaft unscrewed from the collar in these pictures? It appears there are two lines drawn that represent the center and these appear to meet at your central shaft. I assume that the central shaft would attach at the center. If that is the case and it is attached, I am not sure what the black ring I see next to the central shaft is.

I hope that makes sense.

Greg
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

Good question Greg...

I finished up the radius disk portions of the jig tonight, so as soon as I get it together I'll take some more pictures and I think it will make sense.

Tj
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com

Post by   »

turnertj wrote:Good question Greg...

I finished up the radius disk portions of the jig tonight, so as soon as I get it together I'll take some more pictures and I think it will make sense.

Tj
Hey TJ, how about a video of this jig in action??
turnertj

Post by turnertj »

Definitely! I'm just shellacking all the MDF parts today, so once they dry I'll be able to get a set of sides bent and start building the rims...I'll post a video for sure.

Once I re-assemble it tonight I'll post some more pictures of the whole jig too.
Tj Turner
www.tjturnerauthor.com