Handle for spraying

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

Handle for spraying

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I have built a few guitars with a mortice and tenon joint, and handle to hold them for spraying a finish is easy to do because of the bolts. I am now spraying a guitar with a dovetail joint - what kind of handle do you use to hold the body and the neck?

Ed
Ed M
Ben-Had

Re: Handle for spraying

Post by Ben-Had »

I put an 1/4 -20 insert into the DT tenon and use an 6" 1/4 -20 bolt with a ring I had welded to the end as a handle. Then I can hang it by the ring to dry. A process Dale Bartholomew showed me. Pretty much the same thing they use in the Martin Factory.
Tim Benware
ruby@magpage.com

Tim

Thanks. How about the body?

Ed
Ed M
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I hang the body from the same type setup with an eye hook for a handle and the ring attached to a swivel (like you'd find on a dog chain), I place an "s" hook I make from a hanger to remove the body . I put the hook in the end pin hole and turn the body by hand from inside the mortise. To spray the end pin area I remove the body and hold it by the "s" hook then hang it back up to spray the mortise end. I have a little "L" hook to lift the body while hanging. I place the "L" hook into the mortise, lift and spray. Works for me.

I tried making handles for the body but found the body to heavy to hold for very long. What can I say I'm getting old and weak:)
Tim Benware
ruby@magpage.com

Thanks.

I build mostly parlor size guitars with a mortice and tenon joint and have actual handles that bolt it. I don't find the parts too heavy with a longer handle (9-10"??) to avoid the wrist fatigue you might get with a shorter one.

I will try to rig something through the end pin hole

Ed
Ed M
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Thanks.

I build mostly parlor size guitars with a mortice and tenon joint and have actual handles that bolt it. I don't find the parts too heavy with a longer handle (9-10"??) to avoid the wrist fatigue you might get with a shorter one.

I will try to rig something through the end pin hole

Ed
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about, you just can't see the ring in the end of the neck handle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
ruby@magpage.com

Thanks

Ed
Ed M