Sabre saw as a die filer/sander

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
MaineGeezer

Sabre saw as a die filer/sander

Post by MaineGeezer »

I don't know if this will be of use to anybody, but I'll post it. There's a machine shop tool called a die filer. They aren't very common now, but they hold a file vertically and it oscillates up and down. There is a table, adjustable for angle, to rest a workpiece on while you file.

The other day I had occasion to want something like that to sand intricate contours on a piece of wood. I dug out an ancient sabre saw and experimented. The blade holder was sufficiently wide to hold a needle file. The speed was way too high, but I had an universal motor speed controller I plugged the saw into to slow it down. The file cut was too fine to make reasonable progress on wood, so I glued a strip of 120 sandpaper to the side of the file. It works surprisingly well.

There is no particular reason to use a needle file -- as you can see, it's much too long in addition to not being coarse enough for wood. I'll probably replace it with a shorter piece of steel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Sabre saw as a die filer/sander

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

With a holder that could quickly grip a piece of sandpaper and allow fast changes, that would be a great item.

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Acting on Ed's suggestion, here's a somewhat improved setup. A custom baseplate and a bar that can clamp a piece of sandpaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

MaineGeezer

Great! Can you show a shot of it dis-assembled?

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Sure..... This saw is an old Porter-Cable that takes hook-end blades. You would have to look at your own saw and figure out how to best clamp the replacement bar.

The bar is a piece of aluminum about 1/4" x 5/8", thinned down at the end where it fits into the blade clamp.
ruby@magpage.com

Thanks

Well done

Ed
Ed M