Choosing compressors and spray guns

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
bunny

Choosing compressors and spray guns

Post by bunny »

Well, having read all I could find about spraying equipment and setup I must admit I still feel there's a mess inside my head:)

I've been doing repairs for quite a long time and my spraying setup (touch-ups and partial refinishes) is a few Paasche airbrushes, old Badger spray guns and a couple of cheap Badger piston compressors (20 -40 psi)
Time to move on and I'm looking for a good setup for complete nitro finishes and touch-ups.

So, as for spray guns, since HVLP seems to be the right choice today, can anyone suggest any brands, models, nozzle sizes?
Compressors is another big question, should I look for turbine or are there other good systems? What specs should I looks for? Again, any good brands and models?

I'm also considering switching to pneumatic tools, such as inlay/saddle slot routing, maybe small sanders too, is it possible to have just one compressor for everything or different dedicated compressors are necessary?

Sorry, if this has been raised many times before, just trying to have it all in one place:)
Thanks!
Last edited by bunny on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Re: Choosing compressors and spray guns

Post by tippie53 »

I like the turbine units , less water contamination
I like the HVLP
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I use a Homestead Finishing Products QS-125WB (I use it for WB and nitro and use a larger cup than supplied). My finishes got SO MUCH BETTER after I got it. My compressor is a DeVilbiss 20 gal. not the best but works well for all my spraying and air tools.
Tim Benware
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Ben-Had wrote:I use a Homestead Finishing Products QS-125WB (I use it for WB and nitro and use a larger cup than supplied). My finishes got SO MUCH BETTER after I got it.
plus one for the QS-125WB, I love mine.
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

For a gun I am using a Devilbiss SRI pro for most of my finishing, clears and toners. It is considered a touch up gun and is suited perfectly to guitar sized items and will replace most of your air brushes in repair work as well as finishing complete guitars with ease. I use the transtech aircap and get great transfer efficiency and flow.

As far as compressors, 3.5 cfm @ 30 psi is all that's needed to supply this gun. you can use the same compressor for finishing and air tools and anything with enough air to run sanders and inlay tools should work fine.

John brings up turbine units, and they are capable of putting down a fine finish as well. In my experience they are loud. And the heated air supply can be a blessing and a curse. I used one quite extensively in my past career and got good results but I am much happier with a compressor system. It allows me more choices for guns and I have a few, each set up for a different product/use.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

I am certainly no expert regarding spray guns and systems. But I have had incredible results using the FULI HVLP system called the MM3.

Easy to use and easy to clean.

Rick Gunn
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

If you use a compressor you have to be careful of water and oil infiltration. Not all Turbine units are the same. The big advantage we have is that you don't run the unit that long. About 3 to 4 min to spray a body. A compressor will often have water or oil in the air and this can drive your finishing crazy so be sure you get the proper line filters for water and oil.

I use a sata and I do have a gun from HF that works well. I use the touch up gun for most of the finish work when I do it. I found shipping work out can often be an advantage. Especially with nitro
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Anyone sprayed shellac with these guns?

Ed
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you can spray about anything.
Shellac will be very temperamental with water and humidity. You will need to thin a bit and really dial in the adjustment for air and flow. Too much air and it is drying before it hits
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

tippie53 wrote:you can spray about anything.
Shellac will be very temperamental with water and humidity. You will need to thin a bit and really dial in the adjustment for air and flow. Too much air and it is drying before it hits
Thanks John. I kind of suspected it would be a problem of drying before it hit the guitar.

Ed