Need a plane?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

Need a plane?

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Here is Paul Sellers on planes:

He is a British woodworker and has a number of great videos - one memorable one is building a wonderful bench outdoors under a tree with hand tools.

Three things to note about this video:
He sets his planes down on the bench on their soles
He does not lift the planes on the return stroke
He is planing straight grained wood,not figured

Great stuff
Ed M
tippie53

Re: Need a plane?

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for posting this.
I have a collection of hand planes that date from the 1700's to present. If I can only say one thing , that is to learn how to set up a plane. There is a knack for that but once mastered they are a treasure to use and there is nothing like the sound of a clean cutting plane.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
bunny

Post by bunny »

Could you advise an all-around palm plane (size, blade ange and maybe a brand)?
dandenson

Post by dandenson »

I have taken a number of hand tool courses from Paul Sellers, and I think I can comment on some of your observations.

First, when asked why he laid his planes on their soles, he said as long as you set it down on a clean bench, it won't dull the edge. And the sole is better protected.

Second, it is hard to see but the backs of the planes are slightly lifted on the back stroke.

Third, on figured wood he might use a scraper. However, if your plane is sharp enough figure is usually not a problem. (I never seemed to get my blades as sharp as he could).

Paul was trained under the old apprentice system in England. His skills are incredible. I have read many, many books and articles, but I got practical tips from him that I have seen nowhere else. His methods lend themselves to working very quickly. Chips instead of shavings. His method of chopping mortises is unique.

If you get a chance, take his courses.

Regards,
Dan