very simple jig for scraper sharping

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
johnnparchem

very simple jig for scraper sharping

Post by johnnparchem »

In the August 2012 edition of fine woodworking there was an article "Foolproof way to sharpen a scraper." The method included a very simple jig that literally took me 30 seconds to make including travel time to my band saw.

I usually just file the edge and used a burnisher. That was always great for cleaning bindings, purflings or braces but this time I need to remove .010" from the sides where a Florentine cutaway needed to bend. As this was figured koa I needed a real edge.

The jig is just a 8 inch block with a 7 inch band saw kerf. They suggested a 1 3/4 inch square by 8 inch block. I just grabbed some wood sitting on the band saw table. I used it first to allow me to polish the sides. Then with a tiny bit of scraper showing I filed it until I got clean soft steel. It acts as a guide to assure that I file straight. Then I used it to hold the scrapper square while I polish the edge.

polish the sides

File to clean new steel

polish the edge.

No shown is that I clean the burr off like shown in the first picture.

Turn the burr

I learned from the article that it does not take a lot of pressure to turn the burr. The edge is so small that any force is huge on the edge.

The scrapper performed well.

Re: very simple jig for scraper sharping

Post by   »

Nice curlies. Thanks.
-tommy