Choosing a Router

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ColestineGuitar

Choosing a Router

Post by ColestineGuitar »

I'm ready to pick up a large router. I mean "large" compared to my little DeWalt compact one. I need something that will take 1/2" shank bits, and it will be used for things like jig making and carving radiused dishes in MDF. After reading endless reviews and comparisons I'm probably going to get the same one my brother has, the Bosch 2.25 hp. The one where the fixed base has wooden knobs. You know the one.

Now, the knobs are cool and all, and no one ever has anything bad to say about that machine, but it's missing one feature I really like (which my little dewalt has). Lights in the base, so you can see what the heck you're doing.

I'll prolly end up just getting the Bosch, but wondered if anyone here has a fave router--maybe even with lights in the base?
tippie53

Re: Choosing a Router

Post by tippie53 »

I have milwalkie and dewalt
look for one with a plunge base and standard base.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Post by   »

I'm real interested in your procedure for making radius dishes.
-tommy
ColestineGuitar

We have a jig. It's basically some rails, cut with the radius you want, and the router sits on the rails. The MDF spins underneath the rails. You position the router, then spin the MDF around one turn, move the router a tiny bit, spin again... it takes quite a while and makes quite a mess. Best done on a nice day outside. You need a jig for each radius you want to have. I could post pictures of the process. We have a couple of dishes made this way. Bought the sandpaper from John.

Mark
ColestineGuitar

Yep, I'm for sure getting a set with fixed and plunge bases. I'm only being weird about it 'cause I want the blingy little lights... though they are not mandatory.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I like the Bosch and the Dewalt. I have the bosch on my router table. The dewalt is still in the plunge base. I use it for the neck tenon and the mortise. I never missed a light on my big half inch shank routers. Now with the die grinder I use for inlays a light would be nice.

MDF is so messy I came up with a very clean way to make radius dishes appear. I log on to http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/. Pick the radius and then go to paypal to make it happen. Happy me, happy spouse ... really nice dishes.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

One thing I forgot to mention is you want variable speed on one of them. I have this feature on 2 routers and love it.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ColestineGuitar

Ah hah. I'd better check whether the Bosch has variable speed.

My brother made our first radius dishes. Interestingly, he is interested in using the JohnnParchem method. Says something, don't it?