guitar vise

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
kencierp

Re: guitar vise

Post by kencierp »

Yeah those "knee clamps" sure do come in handy!

Interesting to me is that it seems most are concerned with holding the body on the ends -- I assume to work on the tail wedge and neck joint. For those operations we use specific clamping device -- I think I've posted pics of those fixtures here as well. The KMG vise shown on this thread is use to work with the body mostly on its side. Our situation requires that the body is clamped very securely -- we use a powered inflatable drum sander to clean up the bindings and prepare the body for finishing. This device will fling the body across the shop in a flash. I suppose it should appear in a different thread -- but the serious builder should really consider a pair of these drum sanders --- time savings and quality improvements are expotential!
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Ken - got a pic of the drum sander, maybe a source for purchase?
Thanks
DaveB
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I use the vice for just about any operation done on the sides..s.craping, sanding, gluing....
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

We got ours from Grizzly -- here's the larger one -- its the workhorse, we have the small one as well. Pretty good tools no problems and the sanding drums are always available. I found one place that sold a similar device but did not sell the matching drums --- go figure??

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H2882-Han ... B0000DD494
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I am putting a bug in Santa's ear today.
I saw a youtube video on making one of those tools, but after the sawdust is all settled, the cost will be pretty close anyway, why not go with the pro-made tool, right?
Thanks for the info.
BTW Ken Cierp I will be posting some pix next week of the finished KMG African Mahogany 000 - it is gorgeous!
DaveB
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

yeah, I like those bladder sanders. Wish I had one.
But considering I'm only building one guitar a year, I can scrape and sand by hand, and I use an DA sander that works pretty good on the sides too.

Kevin