John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
David L

Re: Dremel Scroll Saw

Post by David L »

I will not buy anything from Harbor freight that has moving parts. But that's just me, some people have had good experiences with Harbor Freight products.
A while back I was thinking of buying a scroll saw and read many reviews on different brands and the one issue that popped up the most is vibration. Almost every brand someone had an issue with excessive vibration. I ended not purchasing one. I would still like to have one, if anyone has any experience with scroll saws please share them with me. Thanks!

David L
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I don't have experience with the Dremel scroll saw, but I have a lot of experience with the mototool and a myriad attachments. I consider the Dremel to be the most useful thing ever invented! I'll be using the plunge router attachment when I build my guitar. I can tell you that the Dremel rotary tool is immortal. I've done some crazy things with my dremel, and it should have died long ago, but like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going, and going... I would assume that the scroll saw would be the same quality.

Although Harbor freight is hit and miss with electrical tools, don't be afraid to buy bits and accessories for the dremel from them. It's the best place I know to buy accessories for the dremel; I have over 75 diamond burr bits, from tiny micro to larger, in various shapes and sizes for inlay, as well as the tiniest drill bits you've ever seen, to the larger sizes. If it's been made for the dremel, I own it.

Harbor freight has the best prices. Don't hesitate to buy this stuff from Harbor Freight; my second choice is Amazon.

I've been working with Australian opal for many years. I've been wanting to do artistic opal inlay into wood for a very long time. I'll be designing something for my fingerboard; all of my fretboad markers will be done in flat gem opal. I'll be doing this detail work with the dremel.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

No doubt you will post pictures when you do that. I hope.
Slowest builder on the forum. These things take time. Apparently.
Randy

Post by Randy »

David. I tried several scroll saws including dremmel and settled for dewalt. It can be adjusted to stop the grabbing and vibration the lower end scrolls do. It's really the low end of the good scrolls but cuts nice Most scrolls are so crummy that's why thy end up just setting or getting sold.
I would encourage you to do some home work before buying these tools they can be absolutely miserable if they aren't good and money down the tubes.