A new basic tool

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
naccoachbob

A new basic tool

Post by naccoachbob »

I just bought this today:
DSCN0160.jpg
It's granite, truly flat. I put a couple of straightedges of different lengths on it and it's pure flat. It's 30" x 20" basically. I ended up with 2 of them, thinking I'd put one in the shop and one in my "office/guitar making/computer room". But after lifting them each and carrying them, I decided to part with one. Steve Kinnaird will have to come here to get it though, I ain't putting it back in the car alone.
Only cost $40 for both pieces together. Not sure what the chiropractor bill will be.
Now, the question is - what ALL can I do with it.
Tony, resist the temptation, ya hear me!!
Tap in frets.
Use an outside mold with the top on the surface for a completely flat top and flat heel/neck blocks.
Tune chisels and planes.
Help me out here with suggestions. Again, Tony, behave!

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by naccoachbob on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Re: A new basic tool

Post by tippie53 »

an asset in the shop. I use a granite surface plate and tool steel parallels .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

John, I don't follow you on "tool steel parallels".
Pics?
Thanks
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACHINIST-TOOLMAKER ... 0617774048
this link will show an example of one. I was a tool maker and made my own. These a used in layout and are accurate to .00005 if an inch.
These are great for layout and flattening saddle bottoms and creating a flat and true surface.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Well, if you have a turntable (record player), you could inflate a bicycle inner tube about 80%, put the granite slab on the tube, then put your turntable on the slab! Makes a great isolation base! Been doing that for years!

Ken
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Ken, what's a turn................... ohhhhhhhhh yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I had me some of them! Actually my last was a Dual turntable. Had a pair of Bose 901 Series II speakers. Bought all of it in 1971 overseas. We had a ship's party out in a park on a naval base. I put the speakers 40' apart and played "Freebird" cranked up to about 8 on the receiver (the receiver distorted above that). It sounded like a live band over 1/4 mile away.
But I'll keep this in mind if I get any more turntables, lol.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bob,
I have one 12" square, wish it was bigger, but is nice to have when hand sanding flat surfaces.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

You can use it to flatten the surface of the neck and fretboard before glueing them together.

Using a caul that matches the radius of the fretboard, you can use it for clamping the fretboard to the neck.

You can use it to flatten the top of the rim/liner if you leave it flat instead of radiusing.

You can use it to flatten sanding blocks for finish work (these should be level).

Sharpen chisels and planes on it using the scary sharp method.

Put wax paper on it and lay top/back on it when glueing the bookmatched halves together. You could probably make a jig that holds the two clamped halves perfectly vertical and flatten the glueing edge with sandpaper on the granite block.

I'm sure there are more uses.
Slacker......
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Darryl, I'd thought of it for scary sharp, but I like the others. Outstanding thought on the finish blocks. I'd never considered that my plywood could be distorted, but it certainly can. And I'd not thought about it for joining backs. And my next build will require that.
Very much appreciated,
Bob
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I was looking to but a piece yesterday. Tired of using my table saw. Couldn't find a good supplier. Where'd you get them Bob? And what a price!

Tim
Tim Benware