A new basic tool

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
naccoachbob

Re: A new basic tool

Post by naccoachbob »

For both pieces, totalling 60" by 20.5" or so. $40.
And he cut them. And no charge for that!
I asked at a local (Lufkin, Tx.) Lufkin Tile Co., if they had scraps for sale.
I could not believe that price either. The place happens to be next to one of the offices I cover in the next town over from me, and I've parked right in front of that piece many times. Finally decided to go in.
I'm going back next week to do some work. With the ideas coming in on this thread, I might get a number of dedicated smaller pieces.
Maybe a 6" x 18" for fretboard work.
Something for my wife and daughter to use for baking, food prep, etc.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Post that video if you will. I think John did one on one of his Youtube videos.
But I'd like to see another. I can never get too much video.
I'll buy a smaller one for the cat's head stone. Or chunk it at the cat.
Either way, money well spent.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Alternatively, here is another option. This e-bay seller sells quartz sanding blocks. The standard ones are guaranteed flat within 0.0015". The premium reserve stock is guaranted flat withing 0.0002". He claims they are the perfect weight for leveling frets and he offers them long enough to contact all frets on the fretboard at once. I'm sure these are more flat than probably any sandpaper you can buy so I'll bet it would work nice. I'm planning on getting one. Here is a link to the premium reserve block that is more flat. Note that he offers different lengths so make sure you have the length you want before ordering. It includes some sandpaper for fret leveling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quartz-20-SANDING-B ... 5671550064

Slacker......
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I'm going to take that idea and get back to that shop.
A 3" piece about 18" to 24" would be a good leveler, use it for installing frets, shooting board.
I think I read somewhere that you can use acetone to clean up the adhesive used to stick sand paper to that stuff.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Sometimes you can pick up a piece of a 4" or 6" wide backsplash that is left over after cutting a piece to length at a reasonable price. I picked up a 6"x28"x1.25" back splash for free at a local place that cuts and grinds granite.
Slacker......
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Darryl Young wrote:Alternatively, here is another option. This e-bay seller sells quartz sanding blocks. The standard ones are guaranteed flat within 0.0015". The premium reserve stock is guaranted flat withing 0.0002". He claims they are the perfect weight for leveling frets and he offers them long enough to contact all frets on the fretboard at once. I'm sure these are more flat than probably any sandpaper you can buy so I'll bet it would work nice. I'm planning on getting one. Here is a link to the premium reserve block that is more flat. Note that he offers different lengths so make sure you have the length you want before ordering. It includes some sandpaper for fret leveling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quartz-20-SANDING-B ... 5671550064

I have one of those, nice for what it does. Only 2" wide though. I want a piece like the one in the back ground.

Tim
Tim Benware
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I'd be a bit afraid of using a very straight sanding block for frets on a steel string. My guitars have a 16" radius, and I could possibly wear down the middle section using something as heavy as the granite.
My experience is very limited, so maybe someone with more could chime in.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

naccoachbob wrote:I'd be a bit afraid of using a very straight sanding block for frets on a steel string. My guitars have a 16" radius, and I could possibly wear down the middle section using something as heavy as the granite.
I use it to check for level. Here's tutorial link:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-d ... 101-a.html
Tim Benware
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

naccoachbob wrote:I'd be a bit afraid of using a very straight sanding block for frets on a steel string. My guitars have a 16" radius, and I could possibly wear down the middle section using something as heavy as the granite.
I think you would work it side to side instead of end to end so the radius is maintained. At least that is my guess.....I've not done it.
Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I like the straight edges for dressing frets. I work each string line then blend in with a radius block
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com