Heat in the shop, and essential tool!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Heat in the shop, and essential tool!

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wish I'd put this in years ago. Makes all the difference working in my shop on these cold days and evenings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColestineGuitar

Re: Heat in the shop, and essential tool!

Post by ColestineGuitar »

That interests me. It takes a long time for my wood stove to make the shop comfortable, and a radiant heater like yours might work well for me. I looked up Visalia, and it's warmer at your house than mine in Oregon's Siskiyou mountains, but the heater idea is good. I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Is it correct to assume that such a heater radiantly heats the area in front of it (where I would stand while working) rather than attempting to warm the whole room?

How many watts does that one draw?

This year I hope to move my shop into a different space--one where I don't want to put a wood stove. I need to explore options!
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yes, it heats objects, not the air. However, as it warms the objects such as the bandsaw, etc, they in turn help to warm the air so in an hour or so, the air temp comes up about 20 to 25 degrees.
This unit draws 1500 watts. It has two settings (one bar or two bars). It was only $50, and I saw them for less after I purchased mine on Amazon. You can spend alot more for this type heater, but for now this one is doing the job!

Kevin
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

I have the exact same heater in my shop and love it! I mounted it above my bench and heat the area when I am using hide glue. Works great. I bought mine from Lee Valley!
Sylvan Wells
Wells Guitars
Bay State Guitars
http://www.wellsguitars.com
http://www.baystateguitars.com
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

I'd have never considered such, but it seems this is worth looking into.

Thanks!