Starting to make a body finishing jig.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Dave Sayers

Starting to make a body finishing jig.

Post by Dave Sayers »

It seems that the more I build guitars the more tools and jigs I find a need for. At the moment I'm finishing a guitar and I'm getting a bit fed up of trying to move around the guitar body. I need a moveable rotatable vice thingy and I need it cheap, or free, and I need it quick. I've seen others where a stick thing goes into the neck pocket. I'll invent my own and copy that idea. So what to use as the main rotatable bit? Well, back in the days before colour reflector telescopes were invented I had a black and white reflector telescope that was now hanging around in a disused greenhouse. A die cast mount that tilts and turns in three dimensions? Just the job, with a little cleaning up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Built2play

Re: Starting to make a body finishing jig.

Post by Built2play »

I found it pretty useful to be able to hold the body in one hand and shoot it with the other. Seems I was constantly having to adjust the body to my light source so I could see my spray pattern in the glare. That jig might be kinda cool, if you could move the body with the arm it might be pretty handy. How will you attach the body to it? I just used a small lag bolt welded to my handle that threaded into the hole in the neck block. I know I sure did have that on and off there many times between coats,sanding and filling.At times I was thinking "I sure could use a quick disconnect"