Power buffer here I come

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Power buffer here I come

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I was gifted a new Shop Fox buffing arbor and a used 1/2 hp 1750 rpm motor last week from my wife's Uncle, so as soon as I figure out what to mount it on, where I will use it, and where I will store it, and have all that accomplished, I will take a picture for show and tell.
I am excited to be setting this up. My finishes have been okay, but I'm hoping that I can really improve them with this set up.
I've seen that many have been using 12" buffs on this arbor, even though Shop Fox says to not use larger than 10". I think I will go for the 12" and have more clearance for buffing. I believe I'll be using the Mernerza compounds too as these seem to be what everyone is using.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Re: Power buffer here I come

Post by Darryl Young »

Is ther any speed reduction between the motor RPM and the buffer shaft RPM?
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Yes, the arbor has a 3 step pulley, 1, 2, and 3". The motor I got has a 2" pully on it. I will only be able to get the speed down to about 1100 rpm going from the 2" to 3", and then of course the one to one ratio. What I need to do is find a 1" pulley for the motor, then the speed from the 1" to the 3" is down around 600 rpm, a little safer speed I would think.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Yeah, get the RPM down and you can safely go with a larger diameter buffer pad.

I found some god deals on pulleys on e-bay and it was new equipment.
Slacker......
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Running too slow is not good either. You need to spin the buffs fast enough to work the compound. Instead of rpm, think about it as surface speed in feet per minute. You want to be in the 2500-2700fpm range. For a 12" buff that would be around 800-850 rpm.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

I just re-read the specs and the pulley on the arbor is 2", 3" and 4" so I am good to go with 3 speeds.
I figured to use the medium speed which comes out at 875 rpm.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

No buffs or compound yet, but this is set up and ready to go. It mounts on a very sturdy bench that has many of my mounted tools on it, and the height will be perfect for buffing. The mount slides to accommodate the 3 step pulley on the arbor so I can easily change speeds.
Can't wait to use it on the next guitar.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zen

Post by Zen »

Where is this one available from Kevin or what model is it ? What I wouldn't give to own one of those beauty's
Good Luck with your buffing.
RUSTY
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you actually only need about 1/4 hp that is what I use. Too strong and you can grab a corner and loose a guitar. Set the belt to slip Just in case. I have seen this happen and it isn't pretty.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

This is a Shop Fox arbor, available at various online places; Grizzly, Klingspor Woodworking, even LMI I think, or do an Amazon search. About $110 with pully and belt.
John, the belt is under a little tension from the motor weight, but I think the belt can slip. The slowest speed is about 600 rpm
I have my 12" buffs and mernzerna compounds. Ready to fly.