guitar vise

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
rhagen

guitar vise

Post by rhagen »

Thought I'd post photos of the guitar vice I came up with. Used two of the long clamps from home depot that I already had. Notched a couple 2x2s to fit over the bars and clamped the whole works down to my workbench. It is plenty sturdy, and sets up and takes down pretty quickly.

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben-Had

Re: guitar vise

Post by Ben-Had »

IIIIIIII like it!

Tim B
Tim Benware
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

A couple of things that will ruin you day for sure --- having the body slide all the way through the caul and bounce on the floor and also applying too much pressure to the back arch and popping a brace glue joint. Here's a couple suggested improvments. Fabricate an articulating/hinge caul that will automatically compensate for the contours and a stretchy fabric sling to prevent the body from falling.

Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Wow. Mine is a combination of the two. I have the pony clamps (like in Ken's) and the cauls (like in Rick's). I use pipe foam over the bars to protect the body. But have to admit I'm always a little concerned about dropping bumping into the metal etc. when I use this setup. Can't remembe where I found this design, probably on here somewhere.

Tim B
Tim Benware
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

I spaced the clamps so that the body can't fall through (at least until I make something narrower than a 000). I also have the bars covers with pipe foam to protect the body.The clamp caul faces are also padded with foam. The clamps don't have to be tightened too much to hold the body firmly, so cracking the top or popping a brace shouldn't be an issue.

Rick
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

rhagen wrote:I spaced the clamps so that the body can't fall through (at least until I make something narrower than a 000). I also have the bars covers with pipe foam to protect the body.The clamp caul faces are also padded with foam. The clamps don't have to be tightened too much to hold the body firmly, so cracking the top or popping a brace shouldn't be an issue.

Rick
Yeah, mine seem to work good too. I have 1/8" foam (left over from a Texas holdem table I made) glued to flexible ply (looks just like yours) and it seems to form nicely.

Tim B
Tim Benware
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

Great thread!

In my "poor man's version", the "sling" to prevent drop-thru is a chair that I slide under while I'm adjusting.

I use a threaded rod with a keyhole set-up for quick engagement and then tightening. The main cross members are thin plywood, so that they flex to the contour of the guitar.

Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I did the dangerous kind....

Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I did the pipe clamps, and spaced them so the guitar can not fall through, any way you clamp it; ala Bill Cory's book. However, you can not tighten down too much. I have not cracked one yet thankfully.

Kevin
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

My "guitar vise" always applies the correct amount of pressure without any adjustment screws or clamps. I hold it between my knees and use a small padded bench or step stool to keep the guitar from dropping down. It has worked for three guitars so far. Though, this fancy pants clamp you guys use is pretty nice too.

Tony