Harborfreight laminate router

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
btberlin

Harborfreight laminate router

Post by btberlin »

If you are not yet able to afford the usual router, the Bosch Colt for routing binding rabbets, you may find the Harbor Freight laminate trimmer works for you. With the 20% off coupon that appears in every circular, and the usual price, I paid about $23 with NJ tax.

Some of the mods i made to use it:

First i took the roller edge guide apart, and flattened the castings so they were orthogonal. I used a hobby-mill but it could be done with a file, or sandpaper and a granite tile square. Later, i made a replacement for the roller guide, on the same mill, but the supplied guide will work if you dress the surfaces.

Secondly, the base comes apart into two parts - a plastic square that rests on the work, and a cylindrical part that holds the base to the router motor. i replaced the four screws with longer ones, and drove brass threads into the screw holes so i could use button-head machine screws instead of the screws it comes with. The latter will work a number of times, though until they strip the plastic. By loosening the screws i was able to insert wood wedges (cut on a bandsaw with a tilt-table) between the two plates of the base. The angles of the back, which vary as you move around the two bouts, were measured with a digital angle gauge (a woodworking tool) and a few wedges made - each for a "region" of the back.

For the top, which has a 50ft radius, the wedges were removed and the base used flat.

To insure cleanest possible cuts, i used brand new solid carbide down-spiral bits, 1/4 inch. The roller guide takes care of the depth of the rabbet, and the base moves up and down to adjust the height of the cut. This all makes a much less expensive alternative to the bit/bearing sets and Bosch Colt. YOu just have to look at the HF router as sort of a kit from which you can make a useful tool.
tippie53

Re: Harborfreight laminate router

Post by tippie53 »

I will warn people about these machines. I had a couple throw a bit. The collets are not heat treated and can fail. If you are going to spend $400 for parts and 80 hrs of labor , it isn't worth risking that investment on a cheap laminate trimmer when you can buy one a good quality for under $100.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
btberlin

Post by btberlin »

I cannot dispute the assertion that the Harbor Freight tools are not the best quality. I am curious, though, why you bought a second one (you said that you had a couple throw a bit).

I can dispute the under $100, though. To get a Colt, a tilt base, and a roller guide you would have to spend $109, plus $26 for the tilt base and $19 for the roller guide. These are prices from Amazon. Add shipping, and tax in some states, and you are at around $160.

I maintain, though, that for occasional use, for one build, or two builds, the HF laminate router will do just fine. Yes, you have to pay attention to using both wrenches to tighten the collet, and, yes, since it only has two leaves, it is a bit hard to close on the bit shank, (and an experienced woodworker/user of routers knows to NEVER put the shank of the bit all the way into the collet until it bottoms, as this can cause it to vibrate the collet loose - in any router) but, once tightened, and I have used it for a couple of builds, and many trial cuts, i have seen no signs of loosening of the bits. For $23 bucks, it was fine for a couple of uses. And, i have no fear of using it for a third build.

And, if the user goes on to build more guitars, then, the investment in a Bosch may be quite worthwhile. I don't deny that.

bert
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Cheap is just that CHEAP. A cheap tool is a cost, a quality tool is an investment.
A kit will cost over $350 plus your time. I have built 161 guitars and do this for a living. The best advice I can give anyone is that if it has a motor DON"T USE HF. I do use some of their clamps. On top of this the run out is way extreme on the shaft
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

I bought a slightly used Ridgid 2401 off of eBay for $40.00.

I have it mounted on a Fleischman binding outfit. But I had it mounted to the KMG binder attachment on the first four or so.

It appears to be very well constructed and I really like the height adjustment control on it. It is very accurate.

Rick Gunn
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I agree with the observation of the runout on the HF router - - - there is an awful lot of it, enough that I regard the one I bought as useless for guitar duties. Too bad, too, as is a tool that is not going to get a lot of duty time in terms of overall project time, but it's gotta be useful when it is used. Compared to the overall investment in a project, I think that a decent router is inexpensive.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I see that you intend to use this so be aware of the issues. Once the collet loses the grip, you are in serious trouble. The vibration of the run out can expedite this. Keep a sharp ear out for any change in sound and wear some protection. While the guitar can be replaced, if the bit hits you, it is a bullet. Admittedly the risk is low but if it happens be prepared.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Datrek

Post by Datrek »

I tried to buy the Ridgid but I could not find one anywhere in this town. I could have bought the Bosch Colt for $169 but I decided on the Makita 3709 for $99. I know several people who have Makita power tools and highly recommend them, hopefully it will be true of this router also. Any feedback on this model?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is a nice one
here is the link for the ridgid
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =SearchAll
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

So far, I like the Rigid router sold at Home Depot and it has a lifetime guarantee if you take the time to register it etc. Maybe the best bang for the buck for guitar work where you need to control of the depth of cut accurately. I also have the old Porter Cable trim router (333?, maybe?) that looks like a smaller version of their classic router. I love it.....except I hate the collet. That's a weak point on that design (difficult to remove bits).

I considered the HF routers......but was too fearful of runout and stories I read where the collet didn't hold the bit while running. Not sure if that fear was valid or not but I didn't risk it.

Buying a high end, used trim router off Craig's List or E-Bay is a great way to save money. As long as you buy from an individual and not a cabinet shop, odds are that it has been ran 1 hour or less.
Slacker......