Guitar Vice

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
glasalle1

Guitar Vice

Post by glasalle1 »

Hi All,

I built this Guitar Vice last week after reading about it on Kathy Matshushita's web site. I lined the plywood with cork, but will add some foam or carpet to help protect the guitars more:
IMG_2335.jpg
IMG_2336.jpg
Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darren

Re: Guitar Vice

Post by darren »

Nice! I built one of those after 4 or 5 guitars and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. Don't forget some kind of strap to keep the body from dropping to the floor.

Also, don't leave a finished guitar in this vice, it will imprint a pattern (carpet, rubber mat, etc. ) on the finish.
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yep, I made one also, after my first guitar. I covered the plywood with thin dense foam, I can blow it off to keep it clean. My pipes are close enough together that the lower bout of even an OM won't pass through. Works like a champ.

Kevin
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

Right now, I have the pipes a bit further apart - about 16 inches - as my jumbo is 17 1/4 across lower bout. I am thinking of buying 2 more flanges, and putting those closer together, so I have options :-).

I was looking at foam... i see 3 in foam on ebay, but i think that is too thick. I will keep looking til i see something that looks good

Glenn
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Find a local upholstery shop and get them to cut the exact pattern you need for the cushions and attach them (unless you have some spray adhesive). They also have webbing for safety straps.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I foam I used I got at OSH, it is quite thin and black in color, like 1/8" but it is dense so it provides protection. You just want to make sure there is nothing on it when clamping against the top.

Kevin
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

I built the same vice using Bill Cory's manual. I used 1/2" foam that I found at Joanne Fabrics. A little rubber cement stuck it right to the plywood. Pipes are 16" apart. Can't wait to see how it works!

Tom
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

A small stool under the vice can support the box and keep it from falling through. Be sure to make the faces out of thin enough plywood that they can flex and not stress the middle of the top and back, rather put the strain where the sides meet the top and back and can support it. 1/4" or maybe 3/8" plywood, but mine are 1/4" and work well.

Ed Minch
Ed M
kmatsu

Post by kmatsu »

darren wrote:Nice! I built one of those after 4 or 5 guitars and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. Don't forget some kind of strap to keep the body from dropping to the floor.
I attach two bungee cords (I hook them into eyelets on the bottom of the clamp boards), and have them criss-crossed underneath.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Coincidentally I was building a vise this week too. Thought I'd post some pix since the design it is slightly different due to my bench isn't thick enough for screwing on pipe flanges and I wanted it easier to remove.

The jaws are 1/4 ply with carpeting attached with spray adhesive. The plywood was warped so i orientated it to conform to the curve of the guitar front and back (how often is warped plywood an advantage). Both jaws are removable, so i can also use it like a Moxon vise for clamping wide boards when building furniture. Best part is that it's built from scraps and clamps already around the shop.

MItch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.