Home made vacuum box for bracing

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
johnnparchem

Home made vacuum box for bracing

Post by johnnparchem »

I made a vacuum box just the right size to put a 2 foot radius dish in. I really wanted it to glue the braces for the classical guitar I am building. I have built with just go bars and or clamps, but the classical has a lot of light braces that I want close to the correct size before I glue them down.

I just used 3/4 ply would and some OK lumber left over from the garden show for the sides. I epoxied the inside of the box to seal it. The rubber I got from LMI but it sure looks a lot like the pond liner I get from the garden store. I put a sealing strip on the frame and I also put one right on the lid rubber sheet. Instead of clamping a sheet between two boards I just wrapped as if it was a canvas on a frame and then used another frame to hold it tight.

I got a real vacuum pump. This one from Veneer Supplies has 5 times the capacity (5CFM vs. 1) for just a little bit more money than the one sold at LMI. This one makes a big difference for the bigger box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Home made vacuum box for bracing

Post by   »

I do envy you guys, engineering types, who can whip up these jigs from scratch and spare parts.
Nicely done.

-tommy
darren

Post by darren »

Nice.

you working on another harp ukelele there?
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

darren wrote:Nice.

you working on another harp ukelele there?
That was a reject top from my last harp ukulele :)

I did not have anything to glue and I just got the pump and wanted to try it.