Questions about router template bushings.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
johnnparchem

Questions about router template bushings.

Post by johnnparchem »

I have two related questions about router template bushing.

Why do some of the bushing kits come with guides where the depth of the guide is proportional to the diameter of the guide? I am baffled but I am sure there is some good explanation I am missing. It is not like one needs a thicker templates for a wider router bit. Both the dewalt set and the bosh set have the issue, so that if I am using a 1/2" router bit the template needs to be 1/2 inch thick. There is a cheap set branded and sold by all of the wood working stores that does not have this issue but I have not been happy with the quality of these sets.

The second more practical question, does any one know of high quality template bushings (that does not have the above issue) for a bosh or dewalt router.

Thanks
tippie53

Re: Questions about router template bushings.

Post by tippie53 »

you can use other methods. I use a flush trim bit on a router table . There are also pattern bits that may be better suited for you.
Find what works for you. You can modify the set by filing the pattern guide to fit the patten. Avoid Masonite patterns they wear pretty quickly.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

John, that's why I got the Shop Fox set. I haven't had any issues with my set.
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for the info
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks,

I use the same set that shop fox sells and they have been working OK, but I am hard on tools and I have knocked more than one guide out of round (not while cutting) ending up with slight errors.

I mostly use acrylic templates and a couple templates I made for my harp ukulele cut\carved from plywood. I use the guide bushing for the neck tenon and peg head slots. I use a flush cut bit on a table for most shaping.