Grizzly band saw

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Blake Dixon

Grizzly band saw

Post by Blake Dixon »

Hi does anyone own the grizzly GO514X 19 or GO514X2 19 in 3 hp extreme series? I am hoping to get your comments on your experience with this saw doing some resawing of fairly heavy material such as walnut or other hardwoods. Is this saw a good choice for resawing. I am looking at upgrading from my 14 inch with extension. Any comments please

Thanks

Blake
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Grizzly band saw

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Blake,
I don't own one, but my wife's uncle does, one of the 19" saws with 3hp motor, and I have used it to resaw a billet of Santos Mahogany and got 5 sets from it, which is as dense as some rosewoods...went through it like butter. The finish was a little rough, but was easily cleaned up in my drum sander. We put a new Timberwolf blade on it, 1 1/8" wide. I know he has resawn pecan, walnut, mahogany, purpleheart, oak...no problems.
Hope this helps.

Kevin
Blake Dixon

Post by Blake Dixon »

Thanks so much what kind of a setup for resawing did you us? Do you have any photos of the saw in action you could share with all of us?

Blake
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have one and use the ceramic guides and lennox woodmaster blade. It does the job ok
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Blake Dixon

Post by Blake Dixon »

What setup do you use for resawing? Any photos?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

When I bought mine it came with the grizzly set up. The only up grade I added was the ceramic guides. A high fence add on was included with the saw. I think I have a thread here somewhere.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
cooltouch

Post by cooltouch »

I've been getting by with a Home Depot 14" with extension, ceramic guides, and a tall fence. I've found that the quality of the blade seems to be the most important aspect for resaw work. The most important thing, other than having a fresh blade, of course, is just to take your time. Most hardwoods, as well as cedar and redwood, will resaw easily with my setup. (I have probably close to a hundred sets of tops and backs in my wood stash that I've resawn from quartersawn lumber.) But spruce? Fuggedaboudit. I've even tried resawing on a friend's big 20" professional bandsaw with a brand new blade, and the blade didn't even last through half the billet. It was sitka. I actually had to change the blade twice just to finish resawing a 3" thick billet. I think that perhaps a carbide-tipped blade would have been the best way to go, but they are rather spendy for a 105" blade.
Best,
Michael

Live to Play, Play to Live
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

There is a picture somewhere, I'll try and find it. It is the standard guides and the tall auxillary fence that comes with it. This worked out fine.
I have a 14" Steel City saw with 12" capacity and 1 1/2hp motor that I'll be trying out soon with a Woodslicer blade (1/2") on a billet of Ribbon Sapele. I'm going to make two tall fences and feed the billet between the two.....saw this being done in ah, I think Popular Woodworking. I like the concept so I'm going to try it.
Okay, found the pics. I'm the Goliath.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.