Slothead tuner jig help

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
littlejohn87

Slothead tuner jig help

Post by littlejohn87 »

First time poster here, so bear with me if you don't mind. I have come to the point where I need to drill the tuner holes in the classical guitar I am building, and I cannot decide whether I am better off buying a dedicated jig (expensive) just for drilling those six holes, or doing it with a doweling jig. If I do go the doweling jig route, I am having trouble deciding on one to purchase. I am also not above making one, but fear I won't be able to get it precise enough for the job.

I think my next build will be a slothead steel string, so the doweling jig might help me with that build too. I am also open to any other suggestions anyone may have.

Any thoughts? Sorry if I overlooked a previous thread answering this question, or posted in the incorrect spot.
tippie53

Re: Slothead tuner jig help

Post by tippie53 »

They are not that difficult. Do you have a drill press ?
The hole spacing is critical and you get that info from the tuner manufacture. They are often a standard . With 3 on a plate , you need to be accurate. A dial caliper can help you here to lay out the holes and a drill press helps to keep things square.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
littlejohn87

Post by littlejohn87 »

I do have a drill press and perhaps I'll give it a shot. Is careful measurement the best way to get it centered between the top and bottom of the headstock?
darren

Post by darren »

I use the HF jig but it is not for the faint of heart. :)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5126&start=10&hilit ... +tuner+jig
Darren