Binding Bearings?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Victory Pete

Binding Bearings?

Post by Victory Pete »

So I buy Stew Macs most expensive set of bearings and cutter set to make sure I always have what I need. So of course I am now stuck. The kit doesnt come with a small enough bearing to do a ledge large enough to accommodate their herringbone purfling and maple binding. I am waiting to get an e-mail back from them. I see LMI has the bearing I need but the 2 apparently are not interchangeable.

VP
Last edited by Victory Pete on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watergunn

Re: Binding Bearings?

Post by watergunn »

I just dealt with the same issue in doing the cuts for a D45.

I ended up ordering the cutter and only the one bearing I needed from LMI.

Stewmac does not even sell the size bearing needed in a group or separately.

I should have just ordered it all from LGI. But who knew?????

RG
Victory Pete

Post by Victory Pete »

watergunn wrote:I just dealt with the same issue in doing the cuts for a D45.

I ended up ordering the cutter and only the one bearing I needed from LMI.

Stewmac does not even sell the size bearing needed in a group or separately.

I should have just ordered it all from LGI. But who knew?????

RG
I just got a lame answer from Stew Mac. it reads:
"Thank you for contacting us. It's pretty unusual to use that thick of a binding with the Herringbone, which is why we don't offer a smaller bearing. I would use the .210" bearing and then scrape the .010" off the binding to flush it up with the sides."

It is too late to do what he suggests. I have already routed the ledge for the "Thick" binding. Stew Mac has been annoying me quite a bit at this point. No more Kits from them, and when I can I will be buying from LMI.

VP
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

I got basically the same response. As if no one has ever routed for D45's before.

How thick are your bindings? The ones I have used have all been .60 wide.
Victory Pete

Post by Victory Pete »

watergunn wrote:I got basically the same response. As if no one has ever routed for D45's before.

How thick are your bindings? The ones I have used have all been .60 wide.
They are .07-.08 thick

VP
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the binding for a D 45 should be
B/w/b pearl b/w/b binding
.045 .062 .045 . 062
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
watergunn

Post by watergunn »

If they are .70-.80 then you should be OK taking .10 off of them.

On the D45 the stewmacs only went to .210. When I added up the numbers from John and allowing a little for the glue I had .225. I used a .230 from LMI and they were perfect.

I now leave the LMI set up for the D45 cut and use the StewMac bearings everything else.

I also use the Fleischman binding machine. Once you set it up to make the cut it is pretty much idiot proof.

Which is a good thing for me!!!!!!!

RG
Victory Pete

Post by Victory Pete »

watergunn wrote:If they are .70-.80 then you should be OK taking .10 off of them.

On the D45 the stewmacs only went to .210. When I added up the numbers from John and allowing a little for the glue I had .225. I used a .230 from LMI and they were perfect.

I now leave the LMI set up for the D45 cut and use the StewMac bearings everything else.

I also use the Fleischman binding machine. Once you set it up to make the cut it is pretty much idiot proof.

Which is a good thing for me!!!!!!!

RG
It is too late, the binding channel is already routed, I cant get the purfling channel deep enough now to get the binding to sit flush in the ledge, the purfling is holding it back.

VP
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

I hope this helps. The LMI cutter and bearing set contains a 1" cutter. Using the cutter with their smallest bearing will not do some of my purfling/shell combinations. However, a little searching on the internet allowed me to buy a 1 1/4" cutter that would accept the LMI bearings. So, now I can do any combination! So you might try to find another larger cutter to fit the Stew Mac bearings and your problem would be solved without another major expense!
Sylvan Wells
Wells Guitars
Bay State Guitars
http://www.wellsguitars.com
http://www.baystateguitars.com

Post by   »

Do you have a source/item# for that cutter??

-tommy