New Side Bender design

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
rienk

New Side Bender design

Post by rienk »

I finally got around to putting together the parts of my new side bender design.
This is what I consider the best combination of features. it uses cantilevered presses like the LMI so that you can load/unload from the side, but it allows you to use either/both the LMI or Fox/BCG type rollers on the side molds. I also have a different cutaway press that allows for a quick-connect strap on the front, so that it balances the tension load on both the front and back sides... not sure if it is needed, but I allowed for it in the machining, just in case (I'll show pictures of that part when I've assembled the next bending machine - I'm making four).
This one has the cut outs for the LMI controller, which is what my buddies at PBG use, but for mine I'll have a different cutout to insert the heat controller and timer like BCG and others use.

Once I work the bugs out of this design, I may be making the cut files available to others who would like to build their own. Or if someone else wants to provide kits for this? We'll see...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rienk

Re: New Side Bender design

Post by rienk »

Here is my Side Bender with a mold in it, as well as the waist and cutaway cauls installed.
I hope to be bending some sides next week!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

It looks nice. I can't tell from the pictures, can you bend both sides at once? Can't tell if th eform is wide enough for that or not. Can you bend binding/purfling on the form? Couldn't tell what kind of support was in the middle of the forms.
Slacker......
rienk

Post by rienk »

Darryl Young wrote:It looks nice. I can't tell from the pictures, can you bend both sides at once? Can't tell if th eform is wide enough for that or not. Can you bend binding/purfling on the form? Couldn't tell what kind of support was in the middle of the forms.
No, this is for one side at a time.
It should be able to do linings, bindings, purflings (function of the slats), though I may need to put in some cross dowels for the small stuff?