Radius dish and body mld

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
rstbkt

Radius dish and body mld

Post by rstbkt »

I have seen people arching their backs and soundboards while gluing on the bracing in a few different ways. But the most common ones of course used either a radius dish or a radiused/arched body mold. Lots of info in making a radius dish, and I will have to use a home made one, cant afford a real one now. But I can only find a couple of articles on the body molds and i am having a problem with my Jethro Ciphering and dont want to build something wrong. The seem to skip around in their descriptions on what they are doing and none of them have had pictures with them. Other than the shape of the body mold being easier to work with as it is the general shape of the guitar, Is there any advantage to building one or could I get excellent results with just the radius dish at the proper radius? (which will be 15ft for the back and 28 or 30 on the front). And if the body mold is a better way, any links to how to build one. I have a side mold ( think thats what it is called, MDF with a body shape cut in it) and I am working on my shapes for the bending jig.
Thanks
Jim
tippie53

Re: Radius dish and body mld

Post by tippie53 »

The big key to this is that you want to create the fret board plane so it will be flat as the board comes on the top. Here is a link . Maybe this will help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz6xzVRA51E
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rstbkt

Post by rstbkt »

Thanks John, I have seen that one before and as always came away with some new bit of understanding that alters.............I mean fine tunes my misguided errrrr well laid plans. But other than forming the ribs for fitment of the top and back, when gluing in the bracing the radius dish is often used with a go bar deck to establish the radius on the B&S. Is just using the radius dish enough or should I look into building a radiused body mold for that?
rstbkt

Post by rstbkt »

just found the tutorial on bracing with the Jig. Answered my questions. Look like a Radius dish is going to work just fine