Plate Joining Jig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
rienk

Plate Joining Jig

Post by rienk »

I drew up a Plate Joining Jig (very similar to LMI) thanks to the help of Dave Fifield at Cambrian Guitars.
It is attached, for anyone who would like to use it for personal use.
It can be made out of a 24" x 24" piece of 12mm baltic birch plywood (almost 1/2").

The Zip folder contains two files. One is the DXF, and the other is a Cut File for a Shopbot.
The DXF is assuming a quarter-inch bit, with the table top being the 0-point on the Z-axis.

If you end up makng one, please let me know!
Blessings, Rienk

PS - these files are copyrighted by Ayers & Sons, and can only be used for personal use (no commercial distribution)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl Young

Re: Plate Joining Jig

Post by Darryl Young »

Any normal drawing where we can view this and see if it's something we want?.......like a .PDF or .jpg or something?
Slacker......

Post by   »

Darryl Young wrote:Any normal drawing where we can view this and see if it's something we want?.......like a .PDF or .jpg or something?
Try this, Darryl.
A&S Plate Joining Jig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rienk

Post by rienk »

Darryl Young wrote:Any normal drawing where we can view this and see if it's something we want?.......like a .PDF or .jpg or something?
Normal?
You want normal from me?
Come on, I'm trying to be a luthier, after all (insert evil laugh).

The above drawing is a simple outline of the various parts. If you have anyone who can CNC this out for you, the cut file would take less than ten minutes.
If you want to go fancy, add a few rope cleats (I got mine from McMaster) and you have a really nice and inexpensive plate jointing jig!
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Do you have a picture of yours assembled? That is what I was wanting to see.
Slacker......
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Darryl Young wrote:Do you have a picture of yours assembled? That is what I was wanting to see.
Darryl, here's mine in use:

download/file.php?id=3951&mode=view
Tim Benware
rienk

Post by rienk »

Hey guys, for anyone who downloaded the drawings or cut file - buyer beware!
I found a few mistakes in it when I cut mine out last week (a couple of the cuts didn't go all the way through). I also realized that this is not a good project for using vacuum hold-down, so it is best to screw each of the pieces down (it's not as pretty).
I've updated the file to allow for all that, and will post it soon.

As you might be able to tell from the outlines, this drawing only includes the ten main frame pieces, and does not include the plastic sheet that the joint lays over (plywood with packing tape works just as well) nor the wedges shown in Tim's picture above. I can add those if anyone is interested (PM me).