Bishop Cochrane router base.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
brmoon

Bishop Cochrane router base.

Post by brmoon »

Hello, I'm currently using the StewMac dremel base for inlay work, but am considering upgrading to the Bishop Cochrane base. Anyone currently using this base? How does it compare with others you have used?

Thanks.

Boyd
sylvan

Re: Bishop Cochrane router base.

Post by sylvan »

The Bishop Cochran base is the best of its' kind. I hae been using one for years and, once you get over the sticker shock, it is a tool that you will wonder what you did before you got it! One of the best tools in my shop!
Sylvan Wells
Wells Guitars
Bay State Guitars
http://www.wellsguitars.com
http://www.baystateguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I use a Bishop Cochrane router base, for making rosettes and to cut the rebate for the rosette and really like it. My base is made for a laminate router and I think it would be to large to do inlay work on a fretboard.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I have a Bishop Cochran router base and love it. I just use it for cutting rosette channels.
My poorly maintained "Blog"

Post by   »

I've never used a Bishop Cochrane and it seems that the responders have used it for rosette work and not inlay.
That said, I suspect the Cochrane would be a whole lot of heavy metal to push around while doing delicate inlay work.

-tommy
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I' ve never tried to use it for inlay. It is a lot of metal, compared to say, the stewmac base, but I wouldn't call it heavy.

I run mine with a Porter Cable router (not a dremel), and the tighter bearings in that setup would make for accurate work. For me, the slop in the dremel shaft bearings would make clean inlay work difficult (not impossible, i've done it, but not much).
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Jim_H, good to see you posting! I've missed your input. I've been out a few days so possibly I missed some of your posts. Have you been able to start working on the mahogany dreadnaught?
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Jim, nice to see ya, been awhile.
I know NOTHING about this router base, but I have had better than adequate results using my dremel for doing rosettes. I suppose the machines can vary; some worse than others. Mine is about 25 years old, maybe they were made better back then, and in the good ol' USA!

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Darryl, you missed your BD!

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

BD??? For Jim's sake, I hope that doesn't mean Body Double........<smile>
Slacker......