build your own mold?...

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
rienk

Re: build your own mold?...

Post by rienk »

Darryl Young wrote:What John said. The bends in the sides relax a bit so they aren't a perfect match to the final contour desired. You may be able to buy a particular body tracing from John Hall and use that to make your outside mold.
John, are you able to provide DXF files of the different Martin shapes?
PM me to let me know what you'd want for them.
As I've inquired in other posts, I would like them to use as a starting point for making our own custom shapes.
rienk

Post by rienk »

darren wrote:
Runningdog wrote: I prefer building guitars to making molds.
that's what I was trying to say!
For those (like me) who also enjoy making molds and other tooling, but don't have their own CNC, you might want to consider finding someone local who does. They can easily cut out a mold shape for you, with holes for alignment pins or even hinge pins, like the ones that LMI sells.

Here is a website that lets you search for people across the country who have some sort of CNC capability they would like to share (usually for a fee).

http://www.100kgarages.com/

However, being someone who builds jigs, fixtures and tooling almost every day, your time would have to worth very little compared to the cost of buying something off the shelf - especially if there is something readily available for what you are building. If the mold is available for the kit you're building from the same source your buying it from, you'd be nuts not to get it for $100.

(Of course, I am nuts... and since I'm doing custom shapes, I'll need custom molds)

If you are going to make your own, I would use 4 layers (1/2" or 3/4" material) and use a center hing pin, the top and bottom layers having male ends, and the middle two pieces having female ends (look at the LMI molds to see what I mean).
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I can sell you some tracings I won't send out pdf files.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com